Are we there yet? Betas for v4 - Neo HD/4K, PHD/4K - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Prospect Beta 204

I have tried the Beta on Vista x64 with CS4 and on XP x64 using CS3.

From AE CS4 my 32 bit projects give absolutely stunning renders.
I just upgraded Premier CS4 to 4.0.1 and all the hassles I had with it have disappeared. I can capture from HDLink and bring files into a project. They scrub and play without a problem.

There seems to be more functionality under XP using CS3. I get the Prospect splash screen when I load an old project. I can even capture using CF direct from Premier although it crashes after transcoding. CF didn't even see my camera (a Sony V1) using 3.4.9.193. Old projects open in Vista CS4 quite happily but crash in XP with CS3. The project will open if the links to CF files are broken but crashes when I reestablish the links. New CF projects do the same thing when I import CF files.
Ray Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #17
Major Player

So do you recommend PPCS4 for vista 64 with cineform Propsect HD beta for a new workstation?

Or should I wait until cineform is an official release?

Sounds like it is too buggy still.

:(
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Beta

I would wait a while if you can. Its looking good but there is a way to go yet. If your in a hurry then CF and CS4 on Vista will work in the not too distant future.

A quick rant; CS4 when it works is awesome but CS4 has got to be the worst software release I have ever used and I go back to when computers didn't even have a hard drive. The Premier 4.0.1 update fixed all the things that Adobe told me I had wrong with my systems. Not a big surprise to me really I built them.
Ray Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Status Reply

Using the PHD 4 beta:

I've got a bunch of projects from PPro 1.5 w/Aspect and/or Prospect. Can't really afford to lose all that invested time/effort, so needed to see what PHD 4 with CS4 was going to do to my precious...(es)

Today, I reconverted the M2Ts to CFHD AVIs, High quality for my most recent project. I opened the project as-is in PPro CS4. I went through all the "where is this file, where is that file" dialogs, and got everything all linked up again. Everything linked. No complaints about missing effects or anything (although I don't use a lot of effects...). And my sequences all play.

Ok, definitely need the RT engine to play the RT effects...when the color balancing/correcting effects are turned on, the playback is really choppy. c'mon NAB! Hurry up and END already!!

I think the presets and the RT engine are the outstanding items, and I can live for a short time without those. Coupla days, at least! ;) But I REALLY need my activation code!!!

I have one project that I'm editing, started out with CS4 & PHD 4 beta. It's going along pretty well. I haven't added any color correcting, so it's still playing along pretty well (two-camera sequence).

All-in-all, it's been a pretty positive experience so far. I think it helps that I hadn't bought CS4 until after all the updates came out, so I can't really relate to anyone's CS4 pain...

Oh, and the AVIs will play in Windows Media Player again on Vista 64 (they wouldn't with my original version of PHD).

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #20
Major Player

:(

Darn, sounds like I still should wait.

And wait is what I will do.

Thanks,

Simon
Old April 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
EDIT: I manually decompressed the CS3 files from the Prospect v4 setup exe (with 7-Zip) and installed them manually in the CS3 folder. It more or less works now, except for CFHD MOV files, which preview upside-down and reddish. I missed have missed a file to install.

Oops, my mistake. The file was a QT MOV file, which of course won't work in a Cineform project. CFHD MOV files work fine.

Great job guys! I'm pretty sure that I will be upgrading to Prospect HD v4 from NEO HD, when it's released.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM   #22
Major Player

If there are no cineform presets with this release what CS4 preset should I use to edit cineform files previously captured with prospect-3 or aspect?
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM   #23
Regular Crew

You will have to create your own for the time being....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:51 AM   #24
Trustee

How is activating going to affect current activations? I have Prospect installed on the same PC twice, once for 32bit XP and once for 64bit Vista. In installed the beta and it obviously needs to be activated within 15 days. So....what if I go back to 3.xx is that still valid or does it need re-activated?

Are our activations reset after the latest update? I'm confused how to deal with this.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #25
Major Player

My computer kept crashing when importing cineform files on VISTA 64 business version using PPCS3 and the beta version of Prospect HD. This is a new machine.

So I installed the 3.4 version of Prospect HD from January and it worked!

Whew!!!!!!

I can't wait until the new version has all the bugs fixed.

Simon
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
P.P.S These versions are 15-day trials. We had to that as the have new components we have licensed off others that can only go to licensef v4 users. For those of you how are due a free upgrade or pre-purchased v4, you will receive a new serial number for activation -- After NAB. These betas can be activated into you perminant verisons, so install away if you NOT in the middle of a time critical project. Within the 15-days we intend to you get you running First Light, which will change the way you post.
Any word on the activation and new serial numbers for existing PHD 3 customers? Trial period is nearing its end...

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #27
Major Player

So Adobe is coming out with a big update in May. Does this help or hurt the chances of Prospect HD compatible for PPCS4 coming out beforehand?

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase