DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Neoform Avi not importable into photoshop CS4 for Rotoscopy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/233974-neoform-avi-not-importable-into-photoshop-cs4-rotoscopy.html)

Clyde DeSouza April 24th, 2009 03:49 PM

Neoform Avi not importable into photoshop CS4 for Rotoscopy?

I can import .mov files into Ps CS4, (Windows Vista 64 bit flavor).
However, if I import a cineform avi video file (converted with Neoscene) It only shows a white canvas. The layer icon show a little "film strip" icon , but when you open the animation toolbar in PS Cs4 and scrub the timeline .. you see nothing.

Is Cineform avi not a format candidate for PS? If this is the case.. it's not going to be productive then for any rotoscopy work between PremierePro Cs4 and PSCs4

anyone else facing this problem?

Jay Bloomfield April 24th, 2009 05:32 PM

First of all, this should have nothing to do with whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit. Second, I assume that the Cineform AVI file opens okay with both After Effects CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4. However, if you installed the 64 bit version of Photoshop Extended CS4, try installing the 32 bit version instead. The Cineform codec usually doesn't work with 64 bit A/V software.

If that doesn't work, the Cineform importer doesn't work with Photoshop Ext CS4. For, me, it works fine with After Effects CS4 and Premiere CS4. I don't have Photoshop Ext CS4 32 bit installed at the moment, so I can't help you further.

Ian Lewis April 25th, 2009 01:09 AM

For what it's worth, Cineform avi files work fine for me with 32bit Photoshop3 Extended. Something might have changed in CS4, but it's not that Cineform files never work with Photoshop extended in principle...

Ian

Clyde DeSouza April 26th, 2009 06:28 AM

Well this just plain sux now :-(
For the record, I cant get it to import it into PS CS4 extended either in 32 or 64 bit Windows Vista versions.

When you import the video all you get is a White blank canvas. however the timeline window shows that there is a video of the given length.

Hopefully there's an answer to this, it's a bitch to work in uncompressed... or I'm back to frameserving like before Debugmode FrameServer Homepage

David?

P.S I've subscribed to this thread.. but not getting any emails on updates .. so excuse for inconsistency in my replies.

Matt Vanecek April 26th, 2009 01:34 PM

Works fine for me in PS 64, using the PHD 4 beta. Of course, I'm just not that detailed to do rotoscoping like this, but it is handy for saving frames, I guess.

Thanks,
Matt

Clyde DeSouza April 28th, 2009 07:40 AM

Ok it's official now. I cant continue to use Neoscene , at least for this project, becuase the Video file will not open in PhotoShop CS4.

I suppose this is a support question for Cineform, so will open a ticket there
Regards

Joye Argo April 28th, 2009 01:12 PM

Me too - problems with PS CS4 Extended and Cineform

Using NeoScene. On import of Cineform AVI in both PhotoShop CS4 (Vista 64) and PS CS3 (XP 32 bit), the movie shows up as a white solid on the timeline. However, if I install the Cineform separate player, the movie shows up correctly on the timeline in Vista/CS4.
Also, if you try to export a movie from PS CS4 (Vista 64), there is no option to export a Cineform movie.
Thanks for any advice

Jay Bloomfield April 28th, 2009 02:24 PM

Again, I just guessing here, but from your explanation, it appears that Photoshop ext. only uses the DirectShow version of the Cineform codec. The 64 bit version of PS must access the codec via a 32 bit surrogate program that it spawns to communicate with 32 bit codecs.

NEO Scene only comes with the Video for Windows version of the Cineform codec. The freeware NEO Player comes with both versions of the codec, but encoding is disabled. It appears that you need at least NEO HD to both decode from and encode to Cineform in PS ext, but David Newman would be a better guy to confirm this.

Clyde DeSouza April 30th, 2009 03:00 AM

Thank you Jay

Jay, thanks for the tip. I installed the free neoplayer and now all is fine.
I guess the NeoScene encoder has/had the Directshow version not integrated.

Anyhow all is fine now!
Clyde

Jay Bloomfield April 30th, 2009 06:52 AM

I'm happy that my guessing was helpful. :-)

I have the CS4 suite installed, but I've never used PS for any video work, so this was helpful to me also.

Mike Hannon May 4th, 2009 03:28 PM

Hi Clyde,

as per Joye's point that you can't export back out to Cineform, what are you now exporting to from photoshop when your rotoscoping work is complete?

I am interested in working in this way too.