Low res VERSUS High res CF encoding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Low res VERSUS High res CF encoding

I was wondering what was the fondamental difference between low res and high res clip with AspectHD ? And what about high res optimized ?

Can I digitize from tape in low res and later transcode it in high res with same result as if I digitize it directly in High res from tape ?

Thank you.
Frederic Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

"res" normal implies resolution and that is not changing with greater compression. High and High Optimized and mostly the same, H.O. is for extremely detailed scenes. Low is not used very often.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you.

Also, can I digitize from tape in low and later transcode it in high with same result as if I digitized it directly in High from tape ?

Last edited by Frederic Leclair; April 29th, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Frederic Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

When I started editing my feature I digitized my footage from tape using AspectHD v5 LOW to save HD space.

Having been misinformed at the time (and a bit of a noob...) I thought I could just transcode to HIGH the footage used in the final edit.

I recently found out that I won't have upgrade if I transcode from LOW to HIGH from file and I need to redigitize from tape to get HIGH.

Since, HDlink didn't register the original tape Timecode while digitizing and just created a new one with 00;00;00;00 at the start of tape,

it scene cuted into clips. I didn't bother about that because I didn't paln to go back to tape and had backup of every medias file in case of crash or corruption of files.

Now I'm looking for a way to redigitize in HIGH from tape and having file that match. I plan to use ProspectHD to have 10-bit quality as well.

I got a few questions and possible worflow I'd be open on ideas to implement.

If I redigitize every tape in scene detect and then trash clips I don't require to only keep HIGH file of media used in final edit; since there always a slip of a few fram in between scenes, would scene detect cut exactly as it did on first digitizing session?

Could I batch capture in anyway possible? At least use batch capture per tape?

Can I create a batch capture log starting from a list of file (like if I create an excell document of clip used with an EDL) ?

Did ProspectHD implement cameras ? I interacted with a SONY camera that AspectHD didn't reconize.

I guess that I'll have to relink footage manualy in project file after ?

Any other possible avenue I could take that would minimize pain of switching medias?
Frederic Leclair is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase