One last 4.0 beta. - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #151
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Parkes View Post
I also get squashing of the preview in CS4 but using HDV footage.
I get the same squashing. I thought maybe it was something in CS4, but I haven't explored it yet.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #152
Major Player

Is anyone running XP/64 with CS4? and PHD 4.0? and having any sucess? Also if XP/64 is running are you getting the advertised speed with that like Adobe says you are supposed to be getting with vista/64?
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #153
Major Player

Still trying

Ok I converted captured CF clips 1440x1080 60i 30fps to 1920x1080 deinterlaced same frame rate. I created a HDV 1080p project. I dropped all the clips into the project about 40min worth.

I set export/media low quality Ntsc wide/ 720x480 still not filling the width!!! and fiel progressive. It exported took 6 hours but it exported.

Imported to Encore and went to transcode and crash. I I created a new project in PPCS4 DV 720x480 30fps. then I ued the dynamic link to take to Encore and it transcoded the project. Thats what I have so far!
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #154
Major Player

Bruce,

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 with the latest Prospect HD 4.0 Beta on Vista-64 i7 processor with 12 Gig of Ram. Aside from no real time Cineform effects it works fine. I have not put it through extensive testing yet. However, there is no doubt that renders a considerably faster. I do a lot less waiting around for rendering these days.

Tim
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #155
Major Player

Hi Tim can you share your setting you are using from cf capture,to new project settings in pp to your output settings when you output to media.

I posted a PDF file a few posts back, are you seeing any loss I. Width when scaling down to 720x480
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #156
Major Player

Bruce,

I will run some tests and then post the results.

Tim
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #157
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bickford View Post
Bruce,

I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 with the latest Prospect HD 4.0 Beta on Vista-64 i7 processor with 12 Gig of Ram. Aside from no real time Cineform effects it works fine. I have not put it through extensive testing yet. However, there is no doubt that renders a considerably faster. I do a lot less waiting around for rendering these days.

Tim
I am running CS4 on Vista 64 with a 3.2 GHZ Intel Quad and 8GB RAM. I can honestly say that the I don't see much difference between running CS4 in XP 32bit and Vista 64bit. Yes, I have more RAM accesible and can run multiple programs a little easier, but it did not decrease my render times at all. And to be clear, my render times had increased when moving from Cs3 to CS4 in WIndows XP 32bit. I was frustrated out the wazoo by this as it was not a little increase. I was seeing double and triple render times on HDV 1080 24P mpg renders.

I then read all the hype of Adobe 64bit optimization and went out and bought Vista 64 and additional 4 gigs of RAM, setup a dual boot system and spent the weekend doing a clean install of Vista 64bit and CS3 and CS4 Suites, only to get the same results. However, now when Premiere CS4 takes up near 3.5 gigs RAM with a single 30minute HDV clip on the timeline, I can breathe a sigh of relief as I still have 4.5gb free. In XP, CS4 was killing my resources.

To be fair, I really like Vista 64 in most ways. It is snappy and fast and feels so much more polished. In some ways Premiere has been a little more stable too. But it did not really increase render times at all....which was my biggest concern.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #158
Trustee

Tim,
Just out of curiosity, have you compared CS3 render times to CS4? I know you say your render times are much quicker, but I am wondering what your reference is. Because to me CS4 is much slower than CS3 when it comes to rendering. also, did you ever try CS4 in XP so you have a good comparison to make with the 64bit OS. and finally, if you upgraded to CS4 and Vista 64 and all hardware at the same time, it would be hard to tell what exactly was giving you improved performance. Did you run the same hardware in XP first and then upgrade?

Sorry to hijack this thread. Perhaps we can take this conversation to a new thread if we need to.

Marty
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #159
Major Player

Bruce,

The test clip that I used was shot with a Canon XL H1 and captured via HD-link approximately one year ago.

Video Clip Properties
1440x1080
23.976fps
Aspect Ratio: 1.3333
Cineform: AVI
Pixel depth 32

Since there are no Cineform presets (YET) with Prospect HD-4.0, I created a HD project using the following P-Pro CS-4 preset:

HDV 1080p24

When I placed a segment of video into the timeline I get the yellow bar status above the clip. The clip appears to playback fine. There is no skipping or bumpy playback. The only way to remove the yellow bar status is to apply an effect and render or to apply the 32 bit cineform force render. For this test I just left the clip in the yellow bar status.

I exported a short segment in the timeline using the following settings:

Format: Cineform AVI file
Preset: Custom
Encoding Quality: High Quality
GOP length: I-Frames only
Video Width: 720
Video Height: 480
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16x9
Frame Rate: 23.976
Field Type: Progressive

RESULTS:

The Frame rate converts to 29.97. Everything else looks fine. I cannot get it to use the project frame rate of 23.976

Can you post your settings. I'll try to duplicate.

Tim
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #160
Major Player

I use to run CS3 on XP-PRO 32bit with 2gig of ram. I work with a lot of video that is shot in the dark, Therefore I use noise filter effects + do a lot of color correction. Renders that took 3 to 4 minutes now take 30 seconds. I wish that I could do side by side comparisons. Unfortunately I cannot. I used parts from my old machine on the new one.

I'm not sure how much the i7 processor contributes to the speed. But, I've noticed that a lot more ram gets used. I also can multitask to my hearts content while editing.

I'm assuming that you are using CS4 4.0.1 ?

All I can say is that CS4 on my Vista-64 bit machine is considerably faster.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #161
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bickford View Post
Bruce,

The test clip that I used was shot with a Canon XL H1 and captured via HD-link approximately one year ago.

Video Clip Properties
1440x1080
23.976fps
Aspect Ratio: 1.3333
Cineform: AVI
Pixel depth 32

Since there are no Cineform presets (YET) with Prospect HD-4.0, I created a HD project using the following P-Pro CS-4 preset:

HDV 1080p24

When I placed a segment of video into the timeline I get the yellow bar status above the clip. The clip appears to playback fine. There is no skipping or bumpy playback. The only way to remove the yellow bar status is to apply an effect and render or to apply the 32 bit cineform force render. For this test I just left the clip in the yellow bar status.

I exported a short segment in the timeline using the following settings:

Format: Cineform AVI file
Preset: Custom
Encoding Quality: High Quality
GOP length: I-Frames only
Video Width: 720
Video Height: 480
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 16x9
Frame Rate: 23.976
Field Type: Progressive

RESULTS:

The Frame rate converts to 29.97. Everything else looks fine. I cannot get it to use the project frame rate of 23.976

Can you post your settings. I'll try to duplicate.

Tim

Hi Tim thanks. When you went to export/media to 720x480 in the output monitor did you notice that the preview did not fit the width (see my attachmet in my previous post)?

What effect if any would it have on the quality of a CF captures file If I dropped it in a NTSC/wide preset project and rendered to a CF.avi? Will it effect the quality of the orginal or is a project setting just a temp preview.

I am doing that now and the preview did fit the output monitor on that tab. It taking me 8 hours to render 50 min but that something to work on.
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #162
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Tim,
Just out of curiosity, have you compared CS3 render times to CS4? I know you say your render times are much quicker, but I am wondering what your reference is. Because to me CS4 is much slower than CS3 when it comes to rendering. also, did you ever try CS4 in XP so you have a good comparison to make with the 64bit OS. and finally, if you upgraded to CS4 and Vista 64 and all hardware at the same time, it would be hard to tell what exactly was giving you improved performance. Did you run the same hardware in XP first and then upgrade?

Sorry to hijack this thread. Perhaps we can take this conversation to a new thread if we need to.

Marty
Hi Marty,

have you been able to get anything to export to 720x480?
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #163
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Gruber View Post
Hi Marty,

have you been able to get anything to export to 720x480?
Bruce,
Sorry but I do not much of anything in SD these days. So I cannot comment on that. I will say this. As long as I have been working in the HD world, I have never been able to get a full frame 16x9 export to SD. I usually render to mpg2 from Adobe Media Encoder and when I choose the 16x9 mpg2 preset the video is always just a few pixels short on the sides. So the resulting mpg2 files usually have a little black bar to the left and right. This has always happened to me when downconverting and I have heard this complaint of others too.

Since I hardly every go back to SD I rarely see this so I have not put any effort into resolcing it at this point.
Old May 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #164
Major Player

See I need to output to both because all my clients do not have hd this is where cineform really comes into play for me they compress to SD so good I can not live without if for my clients that need Sd
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #165
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Gruber View Post
See I need to output to both because all my clients do not have hd this is where cineform really comes into play for me they compress to SD so good I can not live without if for my clients that need Sd
To be clear, this issue just arrived with CS4? Did it exist in CS3 also? For me I have seen it in both, but I do not export to Cineform SD .avi files, I go straight to mpg2 for DVD authoring. Also, is what I described the same issue you are having? I only see a little bit of black on the far left and right edges.

Marty
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase