One last 4.0 beta. - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #121
Major Player

aspect problem

Ok I think there is an aspect problem when you use CF.avi and change the resoultion like 720x480 wide NTSC. it is falling short in width it does not fill the render box. And when I open the short clip after converting, Even media player it plays 4:3 squeesed so even media player is seeing it as if it was not wide screen, Look closly at the render box and notice the black bars at the side. I think it is an aspect problem.

Dave can you comment on the possibilities..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Screen shot.pdf (332.6 KB, 212 views)
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #122
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Gruber View Post
Jay do you have cs4? Does cs4 run on XP/64?
I have the CS4 suite, but it's only on one computer running Vista x64 Ultimate with 4GB RAM. It runs fine. The only thing that I noticed was that AE CS4 sometimes doesn't recognize the Open GL card properly, but I never use OGL anyway. I used to have one computer with XP64 in a double boot with 32 bit XP. but I deleted the XP 64 OS partition, so unfortunately, I can't help you there. You could get bold and download the CS4 demo from the Adobe website and see how it runs. The demo is missing a few codecs, but it should give you some idea of why Adobe doesn't support CS4 on XP 64 bit.

If you Google "CS4 XP 64" you will find a lot of items, mostly discouraging. At this point, if you want to go with CS4, you probably should either wait for Windows 7 or upgrade to Vista x64. And my advice is pack the computer with as much RAM as it will hold.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #123
Tourist

Download down? And CS3 Problems

I'm using CS3, Vista 64-bit. I've had problems with importing CF avi files or opening CF projects in Premiere.

I'm uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times, this last time because I thought I was overlooking some cineform files somewhere that were messing up the new install. While I was at it, I thought I would re-download the Prospect HD file (just in case). But it doesn't seem to be downloading. I've only managed to download ~3.5 MB's worth of the zip file. Neo HD downloaded fine.

Also, regarding the screen grabs from earlier showing the importer and exporter files in the MediaCore folder: does that just apply to CS4? What should the MediaCore folder look like in CS3? I know I only had one file (im-CFHD_File_Import.prm) in there after installing Prospect HD.

Other system specs: Quad Core (Q6600), 6GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 1700
Brock Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #124
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Riggs View Post
But it doesn't seem to be downloading.
OK, it seems to be downloading now. We'll see how the install goes.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #125
Tourist

First Light looks like it is working, though all I have tried is loading a file and tweaking the settings.

I'm still running into the same problems with Premiere CS3: I can't open old CF projects, and while I can create new CF projects, I cannot import CF files.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #126
Major Player

First Light is working. However, it would be great to have a manual. I really do not know what I am doing. I have been able to make color corrections and then see the resluts in P-Pro CS4.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #127
Major Player

Ok, giving build 208 a try.

Machine specs:
i7 920 (stock)
12GB RAM
nVidia 9600GT 2GB,
RAID0 for converted video.
Samsung 2343BX Monitor (2048x1152)
Vista 64

First Light opens (yay!).
The video display area seems to be proportionally constrained. If I maximize, the scrub controls disappear off the bottom of the screen, and the video window overlays other parts of the application (looks like it's floating in front of the app).

Keyframes sure would be nice!!! Either that or a lighting tech that won't change lighting in the middle of a dance...

It seems like a very useful tool. I don't generally need to color correct a whole lot, and this seems like it'll give me the option to do minor tweaks to the overall levels and color, and save me a bunch of time or rear-end rendering. Hopefully.

There's no audio (should there be?).

Again, keyframes would be nice, but I usually don't have footage like what I'm running through right now.

The timecode display does not update as I'm scrubbing or playing.

I don't think I'm seeing all the nifty things that were on David Newman's interview video from NAB. Is there a difference between PHD and P4K versions of First Light? It would be nice to see an actual curves graph that I could manipulate.

I'm not seeing a way inside of Premiere Pro to enable/disable the First Light database. Do I just rename the database and/or project file where the video clip is?

That's about it for now. Have to work on my travesty of a Web site, but initial impressions on this build are pretty good.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #128
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek View Post
The video display area seems to be proportionally constrained. If I maximize, the scrub controls disappear off the bottom of the screen, and the video window overlays other parts of the application (looks like it's floating in front of the app).
Yep, this happens to me also.

Quote:
There's no audio (should there be?).
I think that David Newman posted previously that this build has no audio.

Quote:
The timecode display does not update as I'm scrubbing or playing.
I haven't seen that yet.

Quote:
I don't think I'm seeing all the nifty things that were on David Newman's interview video from NAB.
Here's a shorter version of a few that are online, but it covers what FL does succinctly.

NAB09 Cineform reveals real time color corrector! | Filmmaking Central - The Process of Filmmaking

There is more info re: First Light, on the Cineform website:

Cineform Tech Blog Blog Archive Active Metadata - Technolgy Overview
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM   #129
Major Player

First Light

Ok I recaptured 1440x1080 60i footage but when capturing converted to 1920x1080 first light worked only at full resoultion setting crashed when trying to set to half or quater.

Video was slow motion.. I am using a ati radeon 3400 series HD card I had good picture but like I said it was like watching slow motion.

I can not get a CF file thru PPcs4 compressed to DVD (SD) or blu-ray.. Another note when encoding with media encoder CPU runs 100% maxed out.

Dave did you say the accelerator in not in the beta version?
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #130
Major Player

ImporterProcessServer.exe error:

Hello,

Not sure if I should do a support ticket or just mention the error here.

I installed the latest beta for Prospect HD yesterday.

My setup is:
Vista Business 64-bit
12GB
2 Xeon Quad Cores
Nvidia Quadro NVS 295
Premiere Pro CS4
After Effects CS4

I am getting the importerprocessserver.exe error via Adobe Media Encoder.

Using the settings 720p for window media player.

Any ideas?

The previous beta version worked fine with exporting. The latest has given me the error attached.

I uninstalled the latest version of Prospect HD and reinstalled the previous beta version but that does not work anymore either. I am getting the same error when I export.

Any way to remove all files of cineform and reinstall the beta version that worked for me?

Simon
Attached Thumbnails
One last 4.0 beta.-screenshot.jpg  
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #131
Regular Crew

I've been testing quite a bit, and have successfully converted a number of files to CineForm, adjusted them in FirstLight, and put them into a PPro CS4 project. However, I am seeing the following issues:

- Import Process Server crashes. Happens in PPro, AME, etc.
- Cannot open a project that contains After Effects linked clips, causes AE crash. AE does open standalone.

Here's a crash report from Import Process Server:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ImporterProcessServer.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 491896d7
Fault Module Name: CFHDDecoder.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.5.0.30
Fault Module Timestamp: 49ffb07d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000d7ca
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I'm not seeing the FL bugs mentioned above (video scaling, timeline scrubbing, etc.).

On question: should Snapshots contain all of the settings (e.g., white balance, color matrix, etc.)? When I save a Snapshot then try to apply it to another file, these settings aren't changing.

Regards,
Glenn
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek View Post
Ok, giving build 208 a try.

Keyframes sure would be nice!!! Either that or a lighting tech that won't change lighting in the middle of a dance...

Thanks,
Matt
I think you're missing the philosophy behind color grading in the metadata space. Keyframes are not pragmatic for this application. CCing in the metadata space is for overall "look", not tweaking individual scenes.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #133
Major Player

It seems to me that cs4 is choking on cf files. The main thing I see is we can not use the cineform presets because there are not present? And I am back to the acceleator is that not present either?
Does anyone have an thought a out this? Dave
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #134
Major Player

Did I miss something?

.net framework 3.5 should be installed?

I need to check if I have the latest.

Thanks,

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #135
Regular Crew

I am getting the exact same error. I also get it after a few scrubs on the timeline.

XP SP3
Nvidia 8800 GTS
Quad Core CPU 2.83GHz
3.50 GB ram
Intel Matrix Raid 0
Rick Casillas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase