One last 4.0 beta. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #76
Major Player

Hi Gil, it might not be your system. I just had a brand new system built by my neighbor he has been in the business for 14 years. I have 2tb 32m buffer hard drives raid 0 for capture and storage. I have a 1tb 32mb for OS and I have 1tb Scratch disc and a 1tb disc to output media all 32mbffers. I have a quad core 3.0mh. 1 DVD burner built in with a brand new LG external blu-ray burner. I am using a radeon HD video card ca’t remember the series but it was only about $100.

I had a fresh install of XP 32bit and had some trouble with CS3 with Prospect HD 3.2.?? Then I saw they were ready to release the beta 4.0 for CS4 final I think this week. So I bought CS4 production premium suite and had my neighbor give me a fresh install if Vista 64bit. So now we are talkling about over $2000.00 dollars in software and hardware.

My hole goal is to be able to offer my clients both Blu-ray and SD DVD. Cineform has the best compressor for outputting to standard DVD I did get 1 DVD output on my old system. And it looked almost as good as the BD or the same wedding. Now after installing the beta I can not get a CF project thru PPcs4 and into Encore and out of Encore in SD or standard DVD

Adobe does a fine job of outputting to blu-ray I do not need to use CF for that I need it to compress down to SD.

First the playback settings are not there so I can not tweek the playback of the video in my time line to keep it from being jerky, no problem I can live with that.

Next when I try to compress to Cineform.AVI 720x480 NTSC wide lower thirds. PPCS4 stops responding ImporterServer keeps crashing and if I manage to get a small time line output to CF.avi when I go to transcode in Encore encore stopps working. I see a lot of people are having the same issue in this post.

Then there is then there is firstlight looks pretty cool but I do not need that right now and I hope it does get working but I think CF has 2 sets of clients one set that wants the excellent power of their compression and the other set that needs the color correction capabilities.. I am sorry for such a long post but I have spent 30 some hours and was late for work this morning trying to get this to work.

Last edited by Bruce Gruber; May 4th, 2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: forgot to put not before system
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce

It must be very frustrating if it is your business.

Problem with updating to the beta version is it doesn't even work for me in CS3 and I cannot for some reason get back to the old version

So I have tried "MainConcept™ MPEG Pro™ HD" it works great in CS3 and the final product seems on par with cineform. Its not available yet to run CS4

Gil
Gil Reitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #78
Major Player

Well I got First Light up and running. However, that's about all it's doing. I imported a cineform AVI. I get nothing on playback.

How is everyone else doing?
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #79
Major Player

On Vista x64 systems, the HD installers (NEO, Prospect) do not create the LUTs folder under c:\Windows\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Cineform\Tools. Create this folder and FL will run, although not perfectly (at least for me). Cineform is supposedly working on uploading a revised installer that fixes the "missing LUT" issue.

Last edited by Jay Bloomfield; May 4th, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Also, make sure that User Account Control is off. That and creating the missing LUTs directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\CineForm\LUTs) fixed it for me on Window 7 64-bit. Should be the same in Vista.

Once you start it look in the upper left corner under Database, Current. If there is not an entry there (e.g., "DB") then click New and create it. That should create a new directory under "LUTs" with the name of the database.

BTW, this program is AMAZING!!! So much fun to play with the settings while the video runs smoothly.

Regards,
Glenn
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #81
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sorry we missed such a simple thing, all the 4K products where fine for LUTs folder, it was the HD products that need an installer upgrade. The new builds will go up to later night if all goes well. There are been other tweaks in the meantime, we are always working to make the tools better.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Created the LUT Folder. It starts now. But I can't figure out how to import an .avi to test it. All I can do is import a .cdb file. Any help is appreciated.

Figured it out. I had to use the key stroke short cuts as the import option in the GUI is grayed out and unselectable.

Last edited by Mark Duckworth; May 4th, 2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: found problem
Mark Duckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #83
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Go to the File menu and select Import File, or ctrl+I, or double click on the clip bin.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Okay, when I import all I get is a grey preview window. All the information for the clip is there. Unsure what the problem as there is now help files for this. Clip opens fine in other programs. Any thoughts?
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #85
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Duckworth View Post
Created the LUT Folder. It starts now. But I can't figure out how to import an .avi to test it. All I can do is import a .cdb file. Any help is appreciated.

Figured it out. I had to use the key stroke short cuts as the import option in the GUI is grayed out and unselectable.
Those menu items only look "Grayed out". They work fine.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #86
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is graphic card issue we trying to deal with, it is there you just can't see it, only happens on some systems. The next build may help, but we haven't focused on this issue yet.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #87
Regular Crew

No problem. Just thought you guys should be aware. Thank you Jay and David.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #88
Trustee

Well I installed the latest Beta on Vista 64bit and as others are reporting, First LIght is crashing upon startup. Adobe Premiere CS3 is unable to import any dv avi files or open any projects that have DV avi files already in them without crashing. I have to rename the file
CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm so that CS3 can continue to load project with DV files in them. Somehow this file is goifing something up. Oddly, when I look at the files in that same folder based on an image of my PC with Prospect 3, that file doesn't even appear to exist then.

Hmm.....

So is the new beta gonna fix a lot of this? Also, I sure hope installing and uninstalling all these beta doesn't gunk up what was a pristine clean build of Vista 64 for me.

Good luck getting this ironed out! I am ready to edit without spending half my time playing IT guy!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #89
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Marty, we did call that a beta. So please wait for a release for fewer support issues if you are working on time critical projects, or would rather not have the headache of beta testing. As for CFHD_AVI_Importer.prm into in CS3 it should not there, that is like a registry mess up on you PC, as it is not install in CS3 in the last two betas. Just delete it, as it is CS4 component.
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #90
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Here are the new builds that fix the missing LUTs and a few other minor tweaks, like CineForm MOV files now work in First Light, and more playback thread for 8+ core PC for Premiere CS4 (performance is still no much for the accelerator, but it does help.)

NEO HD http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downlo...208-090504.zip
NEO 4K http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downlo...208-090504.zip
Prospect HD http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downlo...208-090504.zip
Prospect 4K http://02bb6aa.netsolhost.com/downlo...208-090504.zip

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase