WMV and cineform in AECS4? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Major Player

WMV and cineform in AECS4?

Hello,

Anyone capable of rendering in AECS4 (using Prospect HD) when there is a wmv in the time line. Mine always fails after about 10 seconds.

If I try the same proejct in AECS3 and Prospect HD, it works fine.

any ideas?

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Major Player

I tried a few WMV files and they render all the way through and then AE CS4 locks up with a dialog box that says "Cannot create drawing surface". I assume that AE CS4 is supposed to use the VFW version of the CFHD codec, because that's what I am showing as the output option.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jay!

Thanks for trying it out. So you are having issues too. Must be related to the PPCS4 problem.

I can't wait until they get this fixed.

Sighhhhhhhhhh!

Simon
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm not really having any issues at this point, since Prospect HD (Build 209) for CS4 is limited to importing and rendering (no acceleration in PP). Every other file type that I tried previously worked fine. I never had tried AE CS4 with exporting a WMV as CFHD before.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #5
Major Player

I can always export as PNG sequences and then re-import it in AE and then export as a cineform .avi but this is not the most efficient workflow.

Oh well, maybe it will be get fixed soon with the big updates on both the Adobe and Cineform end.

:)

Simon
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Major Player

I've never had much luck with Adobe Dynamic Link feature, but you could use WMV in AE, then open PP and dynamically import the AE composition. Or alternatively, just import the whole AE project into PP with the "Import ..." command. Then the Adobe Media Encoder does the encoding to Cineform and it might work a little better.

I'm still tinkering with CS4, but I think for production work, you're better off with CS3, at least for a bit longer.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase