Prospect/Neo 4 Problem Thread - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
CS3 with 4.0.1 PHD is working even better than 3.4.9 whether CS4 is installed or not. There seems to be some installation issues that aren't occurring in our lab. Let support know where your Premiere copies are installed.
Hi Dave here is a shot from my reg..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf screen shot.pdf (128.5 KB, 207 views)
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #32
Regular Crew

some development, going through some old posts here, it seems the problem is that the installer is not installing the cineform files properly. I looked inside the installer (neoscene) and found im-CFHD_File_Import and CFHD_AVI_Importer both of which were not present on my system. From the posts i have seen here, if those files are not present, then VFW is being used which will give you playback issues and probably the importer error more frequently. The importer seems to choke when doing HD clips if using VFW.

I test with a PAL sized cineform clip and importer did not have issue. Same clip with full HD size , the playback started choking and importer started crashing. At one stage, the importer process was consuming 3 gigs of ram.

So, to make premiere sane, i extracted the two mentioned CF files from the installer and copied it to the premier plug-ins\common folder. A brief play i have had so far resulted in no importer crashes or playback issues.

i will report further once i have had a good run on the timeline today.
Anish Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #33
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Bruce,

While is seems you registry entry is fine, let support know where all you Premiere folders are. These are the path we need to confirm:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS3\Plug-ins\en_US
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS3\MediaCore
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #34
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Anish,

You are correct, some of the earlier reports were due user have a bad install and running the VfW codec rather than the new importer. However, we do know that the new importer is cause problems in some circumstances and we working to narrow those down.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #35
New Boot

David,

After being away and then returning to the forum with fingers crossed that we have some better news on the ImporterProcessServer crash issue, I must say I'm quite crestfallen. My beta has now expired and I am stuck. I have no choice but to uninstal CFHD altogether and just get on with it.

I participated in an Adobe 'Working with HD' e-Seminar two days ago where I vocally raised the issue several times with their tech people. Needless to say I got the cold shoulder from Adobe who actually said, that they thought CFHD was a 'dead' product anyway and hadn't heard of any problems with the codec or even if it it was being used anymore! With that sort of ignorant response, I do wonder what is going on. I also have a support ticket raised with Adobe on this issue which is still open and not responded to for nearly 10 days!

I agree and support all of those people in this forum who are trying to support the CF product, but simply cannot get it to work. After spending over two weeks with the beta's and uninstalling/reinstalling, crashing, retranscoding, and generally wasting time, I just don't see the point anymore.

Credit card safely tucked away now.
Cameron Smeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #36
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Cameron,

Come back in a week or so. Adobe is deep into getting 4.1 out, we benefit form that also. CineForm is used mostly of the highend or feature work done on Premiere, where editors simply do not use native camera compression (unless it is CineForm RAW -- e.g. Slumdog Millionaire), yet the high-end a tiny market for Premiere as a whole, so it not supprizing that low end Adobe staff would be out of touch. While CineForm was just used to finish an IMax film under Premiere, with a filmout at FotoKem from the CineForm compressed master, of course that is no where the volume of event videography. Without CineForm, Adobe has no highend stores of merit, and that will continue to be the case.

As for complaining about betas, we did call it a beta for a reason. And we bumped the license for another 15-days for the original testers (you likely didn't notice as you where away.) We did a closed beta for a while and got too little feedback, so we opened it up -- thank you for those who participated -- First Light is working so much better based on all your feedback. Never use a beta if it costs you money, it is completely volentary.

Within the next week we expect to receive the missing information from Adobe, this will address the importer issue, then we add the RT engine to CS4 (many CineForm customers will stick with CS3 until that happens -- Adobe should notice that.) Then onto Neo and Prospect 3D, the other market that is huge for us, and minute for Adobe, so expect the Adobe ignorance to continue.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #37
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For those still have ImportProcess issues, please try this importer (replace those in MediaCore and Plug-in/en_us/CineForm.) If is a very conservative implementation, not going for speed, but it would be helpful to know if it still crashes in the field.

http://www.miscdata.com/cineform/CFH...rter_Test2.zip

Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback David. It would have been nicer if your support team had knowledge of installation issues as in my case and had responded with a solution. I would have saved many hours and frustration and iam sure so would many others with similar situation. A better troubleshooting methodology for your support team is probably needed.
Anish Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #39
New Boot

David,

Thanks for the response. I do appreciate that a beta is a beta too - I wasn't expecting miracles, just a clearer indication of what we could all expect. Maybe I just didn't pickthat up from the posts. The Cineform website certainly doesn't mention any of this.

Anyway, FYI, I am certainly not filming events. We are shooting documentary and short film for cinema and TV release. Yes, they're features. We are going through the edits and want to get the best result we can of course. CFHD should be the obvious choice for CS4. Right now it isn't. We all know it's a great product, but it just isn't ready for CS4 yet. We can't roll back to CS3 as we don't have it. Hence the frustration mate.
Cameron Smeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #40
Major Player

Martins FIX

You can call me crazy but I just purchased
4.0 Prospect HD. REMOVE CFHD.. fix did it for CS3 removing the CFHD file from PPCS3/plugins/cinefrom. I think everyone was focusing on the common file/plugins folder.(vista/64)

I missed that they extended the beta testing for another 15day I was stuck and needed Cineform?

I did not see that post maybe only 1 thread sould be used for beta testing problems. I see about 3 threads going and I missed the extension?? I have a project I need to get out and I am lucky that I still have CS3 so far its purring like a kitten. It also fixed it on my XP 32bit machine(old machine now) That would not import CF files either and that machine does not have CS4 on it.

Dave I am sure you will get things rolling with CS4.
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #41
Major Player

Dave new importer file cs4

Hi Dave, I replaced both CFHD/from zip file with new Improrter files. Adobe Media Encoder just sits there in a waiting status...
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #42
Regular Crew

David,

Glad to try this out, but unfortunately it didn't work. Editing in CS4, got the same crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: ImporterProcessServer.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 491896d7
Fault Module Name: CFHDDecoder.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.5.1.31
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a0cad04
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000d9c2
OS Version: 6.1.7100.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Glenn Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #43
Major Player

CS3 Error removing CFHD

Dave,

Removed the CFHD importer from the CS3 folder like described everyting was going good but when I went to render the timeline or export timeline I received ERROR COMPILING UNKNOWN MOVIE VIDEO PREVIEW ERROR..
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Gruber View Post
Dave,

Removed the CFHD importer from the CS3 folder like described everyting was going good but when I went to render the timeline or export timeline I received ERROR COMPILING UNKNOWN MOVIE VIDEO PREVIEW ERROR..

Issue resloved I reinstalled 4.0 and removed CFHD inporter files and all is working I will post results of final output
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #45
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Glenn, Did you replace all instances on the CFHD_AVI... modules? Please do a search. Also check that you only have one copy of CFHDDecoder.dll, which should be C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools or C:\Program Files\CineForm\Tools. No copies of CFHDDecoder.dll should be in c:\windows\system32 or c:\windows\sysWOW64 -- they where for the very first beta. It worries me that you aren't running the current software as we can't repeat your crashes, even using our clips. Plus we forget to bump the version number on that component so we can't tell form crash report -- my bad.

Just in case, here is the CFHDDecoder.dll I'm using for internal testing with the simplified importer (with the correct version number.)
http://www.miscdata.com/cineform/CFHDDecoder260.zip

Replace you current version in C:\Program Files (??)\CineForm\Tools.

I figure if your PC starts working, everyone elses will soon follow.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase