What deinterlace technique is used by Neoscene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

What deinterlace technique is used by Neoscene

iMovie 09 requires progressive video in order to use all of its functions, yet Sony and Panasonic AVCHD camcorders shoot 1080i60. That opens three options:

1) deinterlace 1080i60 to 1080p30

2) deinterlace 1080i60 to 1080p60

3) standards convert 1080i60 to 720p60

4) standards convert 1080i60 to 540p60

Questions:

1) what method does neoscene use to deinterlace: Line-double, Frame-blend, Adaptive, or Decombing? Is it any better than the standard QT Deinterlace?

2) Is #2 possible with neoscene. (It combines adjacent fields across frame-boundaries as is done in flat-penal HDTVs.)

3) How about #3 or #4? What type of down-scaling is used by neoscene?
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Major Player

This may help you, until you get a more-detailed reply:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...interlace.html
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

"We do not throw any a fields, we are better than regular field blending, but not a just as a motion tracking deinterlacer. If you shoot with a 50Hz shutter (or 60Hz for NTSC) the results are quite nice and preserve a good resolution.

My guess David is saying, "We do not throw AWAY any fields..." WHICH MEANS they don't use Line-doubling (BOB).

"... we are better than regular field blending," DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CARE ABOUT field-blending adds blur which actually helps cover the fact 60Hz video becomes 30Hz. But, is does hurt resolution.

"... but not AS GOOD as a motion tracking deinterlacer."

OK -- that leaves WEAVE and DECOMB. But, Weave is ruled-out because he says they don't use Adaptive.

So is it Decomb -- which blends only edges if there are differences in fields? Of course, areas within objects are a weave of both fields so moving object detail is lost, which is OK.

What I don't get is why David, who is not shy about tek talk, doesn't say what IS USED? David?
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Basically is it not a standard decomb, there is a little more to it, I don't know a third party equilavent. It resolves to about 75% of the vertical resolution, but handles highlights better than most decomb deinterlacers.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
iMovie 09 requires progressive video in order to use all of its functions, yet Sony and Panasonic AVCHD camcorders shoot 1080i60. That opens three options:

1) deinterlace 1080i60 to 1080p30

2) deinterlace 1080i60 to 1080p60

3) standards convert 1080i60 to 720p60

4) standards convert 1080i60 to 540p60

Questions:

1) what method does neoscene use to deinterlace: Line-double, Frame-blend, Adaptive, or Decombing? Is it any better than the standard QT Deinterlace?

2) Is #2 possible with neoscene. (It combines adjacent fields across frame-boundaries as is done in flat-penal HDTVs.)

3) How about #3 or #4? What type of down-scaling is used by neoscene?
NeoScene does not allow down-scaling, so #3 and #4 are out. If the cameras can shoot 24p in 60i you can also use the pulldown removal.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase