DVD Encoding - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 31st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Laurie View Post
Stephen,
In reg to your good experiences going from hd to sd..... is the advice to upscale 1440x1080 files to 1920 still good when using acvhd files (m2ts from hg10)? I'm using hdlink prospecthd v4. I think I read they are 1920 if I could bring them in hdmi (don't have a card for that)
Most ACVHD cams are native 1920 sq pix format. So, no rescaling needed in HDLink to get 1920 CF.avi.
The HDMI output reference I believe has to do with actually recording the live video stream into your workstation from the cam HDMI output. This enables you to capture the uncompressed video which will be higher quality imagery than the compressed video that the camera stores on tape or memory (AVCHD, HDV, XDCam, etc.). The obvious downside is the lack of mobility since the work station has to be physically with you & attached to the cam while you shoot.
Upscaling HDV to 1920 CF.avi for editing works great if you are aiming for final output in DVD. Square pix formats (1920x1080) seem to allow a higher quality downscale to SD than the "pixel shifted" 1440x1080 1.33 par of HDV. This is even more evident if the original footage was interlaced.
My DVD workflow for interlaced footage: Edit as 1920x1080 CF.avi; render finished movie to Cineform 720x480 1.2 par avi SD master; I use ProCoder 3 to transcode the SD master avi to m2v (I will frequently tweak the gamma, color sat, & sharpen in ProCoder as part of the transcode); import the m2v into Encore & author the DVD. I keep the field order UFF all the way thru the workflow
My DVD workflow for progressive footage: Edit as 1920x1080 CF.avi; I can usually skip the downscaling to 720x480 avi SD master and encode to m2v (Procoder 3) directly from the 1920x1080 avi master (the final rendered CFHD movie).
I'm sure there are more complex and timeconsuming workflows to end up with marginally better DVD imagery, but I must say that this has given me absolutely the best looking DVDs I have ever made. When viewed on a 50" HDTV from an HDMI "upscaling" DVD player the images look very near HD.
If it needs to be better than that, I go to Blu Ray.
P.S. 1920 footage, well shot with a competent cam, edited as CF, delivered on Blu Ray produces absolutely stunning, breathtaking imagery. IMO it is competitive with the best than can be delivered to HDTV.
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM   #32
Major Player

My thanks go to everyone who has contributed to this thread.
Great reading.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:09 PM   #33
Major Player

Hi Gary, and Robert

Very nice video on your sites. What are you using to create the Flash Videos? And what flash players? Also are you starting with a CF.avi and taking straight to flash compression?

Bruce
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM   #34
Major Player

HI Bruce.
For my own stuff I am using Sorrenson Squeeze.
Im importing the cf file to Squeeze.

I use JWs flash player.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #35
Major Player

Hi Gary I was looking at the Jws flash player. I can not figure out how to ues it I can not write code? I use Sorrenson Squeeze also... I was looking for something that would wrap the flv and creat the html for me. Sorrenson does that but I am not crazy about their player.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #36
Major Player

Are you PC or MAc based?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM   #37
Major Player

hi Gary I am of
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce

If you are a Dreamweaver user you could try

Flash video player WebStunning.com

Playes mp4 as well

Gil
Gil Reitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Gruber View Post
Hi Gary, and Robert

Very nice video on your sites. What are you using to create the Flash Videos? And what flash players? Also are you starting with a CF.avi and taking straight to flash compression?

Bruce
Using Sorenson Squeeze and AME, compressing directly from CFHD. The embedded Flash player is provided by Dreamweaver automatically when the FLV is imported onto the web page.

Last edited by Robert Young; June 2nd, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:46 PM   #40
Major Player

Hi Gil, Thanks I do not have dreamweaver?(*&^ I have Flash CS4??

Robert not sure what you mean can you point me to the instructions? We are still talking about JWs flash player correct?

Thanks
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #41
Trustee

No, I haven't used the JW flash player.
In Dreamweaver, when you "Insert> Media> Flash Video" onto a webpage you are designing, a dialog box will come up for dealing with all the various parameters, including the flash player issues, player instructions, skin selection, and even a notification message & download link to upgrade Flash if needed. So, if the computer viewing the page has no Flash player, or an obsolete version, the page will steer them to an update on the Adobe site.
Very quick & easy- if fact, so quick and easy that I actually haven't needed to know a lot about it.
I like that a lot!
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #42
Regular Crew

I'm going to add this tidbit to DVD creation as I think it to be important and I'm
glad Andrew came up with this tutorial....

VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials & Post Production Tools
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #43
Major Player

DVDs: PAL and NTSC

Hello,

Great discussion here.

I am using PPCS3 with Prospect HD. My project is 1920 x 1080 - 30p and I want to make a DVD too.

Sounds like using TMPGEnc is the best way to get a mpeg file which then should be burned to a DVD using a DVD authoring program.

Do I need to create the CF master file or can I just use debug frameserver and send it to TMPGEnc?

Also I need to create NTSC and PAL DVD versions from my project. Anything special I should do for PAL versions compared to NTSC?

Lastly, I do not have PAL equipment but need to send the PAL DVD versions to Europe. Any way I can test out the PAL version before I send it? Is there a special PAL DVD player program for example so I can make sure it looks good too?

Thanks again for all the great information.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #44
Major Player

Hey all,

Good stuff. I am curious..with TMPeng installed, can't you select that from Media Encoder when creating the mpeg-2 files? I haven't tried in CS4, but I would have thought it would be another codec in the list to use regardless of the app.

My experience with Encore is like others.. use PP or the Media Encoder to spit out the .mkv or mpeg2 files first..then allow Encore to simply burn them. I have had numerous crashes with Encore during transcode stage that I gave up.

I am sure some of you might have said this..I read most of the posts but it's late.. so jumped to the end here.. but the nanoFlash for $3K (just about to be available end of this month if I recall) will allow you to record from the HD-SDI or HDMI outputs of any camera and it uses a Sony licensed codec to compress the video and up to 8 channels of audio onto 32GB flash cards. While not cheap, it certainly gives new options to those looking to buy cameras that can't afford 5K+ cameras. My thought is the new Canon S100 camera. It has a large 8.59MP Cmos with 1/2.6" sensor, 1080P native record capability. A few shots I've seen with the XDR Flash and the Canon are stunning to say the least. The quality from those rivals the quality from $5K+ cameras. You naturally lose some of the other features of pro caliber cameras..the manual capabilites and lenses.. but for shooting stock footage, green screen, even weddings and events, I believe from what I have seen the canon S100 with the nanoFlash would be up to the task just as much as any of the big cameras can if you can get by without some of the other features like lenses and such. I am seriously looking in to this to get me by until I can afford the RED Scarlet setup if/when that arrives.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #45
Major Player

Hi Kevin, Good to hear from you Simon....

NO what you need to do is output you project in the Highest quality CF master file. Then you take that into TMPeng to create your Blu-ray or SD DVD. Then thake that file and use Encore or what ever authoring DVD tool you use to build you DVD. Encore will not transcode you video because is alreay in the correct format, it will just pack it for your dvd/bd.

Note sometimes Encore gives you a hard time improting it into your time line but just keep trying it and after 2 or 2 time it takes. Also something else I found. Encore CS4 does not like if you output Video and audio combined from TMPeng so use the setting in TMPeng to split the audio and video works great.
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase