DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Prospect4 Encoding Times (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/235953-prospect4-encoding-times.html)

Glenn Babcock May 23rd, 2009 04:28 PM

Prospect4 Encoding Times

I'm currently encoding a project to CF AVI that contains 2 1/2 hours of audio/video. The video is HD that I transcoded to CFHD with HDLink. This is the project I've discussed in other threads.

Using PPCS4, I have applied a few CF color corrections and move/zoom effects to the transcoded sources (which are also color corrected in FirstLight), then sync'd them in a timeline and put that timeline into a multicamera sequence. I made my cuts and added a few CF transitions (dip to black, cross dissolve) and titles. I also added the CF chroma noise reduction effect to 2 of the three sources.

Here's the thing: It's been running in AME now for 3 hours, and the Estimated Remaining is 83:31:00! I expected to see 5X-7X of the duration, or about 12-18 hours.

I understand that Prospect is not fully tuned, but 86+ hours? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any insights into this would be very much appreciated.

(BTW, the project looks GREAT in preview! Prospect did an excellent job of cleaning up this video!!!)

Dell XPS420 3GHz QuadCore
8GB RAM
500GB RAID 1 (mirrored) OS/Program Files
1TB RAID 0 (stripped) Video
Windows 7 64-bit (build 7100)
CS4 current patches applied
ProspectHD 4.0.2 build 211
GeForce 8800 GTX (181.72)
UAC and virus scanning disabled

David Newman May 23rd, 2009 10:01 PM

It is slower than is should be (we see 10X under CS4, when it was 5X under CS3,) but that is crazy slow. Likely something has failed. Is the CPU doing anything? Maybe CS4.1 will address this, as we have been using the CS4.1 betas for a lot of testing (given that will be out so soon and a recommended update for all.)

Glenn Babcock May 24th, 2009 04:33 AM

David,

I see about 50% CPU utilization, 4.7GB RAM used. Top processes are PProHeadless, AME, ImporterProcessServer, CFRenderProc.

As you said, this may be an Adobe issue.

Thanks,
Glenn

Anish Sharma May 24th, 2009 11:52 PM

iam trying to encode a 25 min clip and cpu utilsiation is at 50% and media encoder is telling me it will take 3.5 hrs to finish. I have color correction in first light and iam trying to resize on the fly to sd :p . Would be nice if all the cpu got used fully

Michael Panfeld May 27th, 2009 11:19 AM

I am having the same slowness issue with CS4. I am getting 22x when encoding a CF HD sequence to an AVI/mov file. 13x when transcoding the same CF HD sequence to a DVD. These are with normal AE color correction and Neat Video noise reduction. No CF effects are being used. I was getting about 3x to 4x in CS3 using Prospect 3.x on the same sequence. Is this an Adobe issue or the fact that CF Prospect 4 is not yet ready for CS4?

David Newman May 27th, 2009 11:31 AM

Old CS3 API was fast(ish) and the new CS4 API seems very slow. We have many emails into Adobe and they are getting us feedback to see whether CineForm or Adobe can address the issue best.