No Known Conversion with Neo Scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No Known Conversion with Neo Scene

I downloaded the Neo Scene trial and I'm capturing clips using imovie 08 from my HV30 to an external firewire drive. Everytime I try to convert the clips with Neo Scene I get a message stating "No Known Conversion for Selected File" with the file name and (mv/icod). Can anybody help me out here or point me in the right direction to get this thing working right? Thanks.
Sean Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You want to be converting M2T files. I'm not a Mac guy, so I'm not sure whether IMovie supports M2T captures.
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I thought Neo Scene was suppose to work with Imovie? Or is that only when the files are captured by another source then converted by Neo Scene to be used within Imovie?
I appreciate your help David.
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, not the Mac guy. I know the output from Neo Scecne works well in iMovie, which all the AVCHD users have no issue with (file based conversion in Neo Scene.) With HDV there is still a capture process that happens first. It has been written up before, but finding the info is the trick.

File a ticket or ask Craig Davidson (he is on these forums.)
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woods View Post
I downloaded the Neo Scene trial and I'm capturing clips using imovie 08 from my HV30 to an external firewire drive. Everytime I try to convert the clips with Neo Scene I get a message stating "No Known Conversion for Selected File" with the file name and (mv/icod). Can anybody help me out here or point me in the right direction to get this thing working right? Thanks.
NeoScene supports conversion of MTS, m2t, M2TS, and some versions of mov files (h264 for Canon 5d for instance). When you capture using iMovie, it is using a compression format that is not supported for mov source. The "icod" is the Apple Intermediate Codec. You would get better image quality if you can capture using the native format of the camera before converting to CineForm instead of first converting to the Apple Intermediate Codec.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

So I guess capturing with Imovie is out. Can you recommend another form of capturing from the camera?
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woods View Post
So I guess capturing with Imovie is out. Can you recommend another form of capturing from the camera?
In the past we have used QuickTime Pro to capture HDV. It creates an mov using the native encode of the camera. We will try that with the HV20/30 and see if that works properly.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I tested with the HV20 and our old Mac Pro (dual-dual). If you use QuickTime to capture from the camera, select "Camera Native" That will create a QuickTime mov encoded as HDV. NeoScene can convert that.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase