DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Vista/64 service pack 2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/236131-vista-64-service-pack-2-a.html)

Bruce Gruber May 26th, 2009 03:36 PM

Vista/64 service pack 2

Has anyone installed the new Sp2 for vista/64?

Simon Zimmer May 26th, 2009 04:16 PM

Good question. I did not even know there is a new SP.

I am scared to install it though. ;)

Simon

Bruce Gruber May 26th, 2009 05:14 PM

Me 2 I just got notified my my automatic updates that its available?

Robert Young May 26th, 2009 05:49 PM

A couple of posts over on the Adobe PPro CS4 forum sound positive about SP2.
One Poster thought it made Vista 64 more similar to Win 7 on his system anyway. I'm going to install it tonight- once again, the triumph of hope over experience.

Anish Sharma May 26th, 2009 06:00 PM

i have been running on it for a while now and premiere doesnt seem to have any issues with it. Most of my issues are to do with cineform atm which i would find hard to believe is related to SP2.

Simon Zimmer May 26th, 2009 06:55 PM

Okay. I guess I should try it then.

Gulp!!!!!!

:O

Simon

Jay Bloomfield May 26th, 2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Gruber (Post 1148693)
Me 2 I just got notified my my automatic updates that its available?

If you have the automatic updates option turned on, SP2 will install hardly anything new, since most of the patches contained in it have already been installed on your computer.

Ray Parkes May 26th, 2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield (Post 1148770)
If you have the automatic updates option turned on, SP2 will install hardly anything new, since most of the patches contained in it have already been installed on your computer.

590 odd MB doesn't seem insubstantial to me and it does seem to have improved CS4's performance. I still prefer XP over Vista x64 for the moment. I am running both side by side as a trial both with CF 4. XP is still winning hands down at the moment. It seems to consume less RAM and is more stable.

Robert Young May 26th, 2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Parkes (Post 1148798)
590 odd MB doesn't seem insubstantial to me and it does seem to have improved CS4's performance.

I agree.
The Vista 64 download & install was flawless and fairly fast.
Just waiting for CS4.1 and the finished PHD 4 and life will be perfect ;-)

Jay Bloomfield May 27th, 2009 09:20 PM

If you look either at the Install Log for Vista SP2 or search for any system files with a new file date, you will see very few. The install log contains a ton of entries that check for the file version of each system file, but if you were already up to date (via automatic updates) virtually nothing is overwritten. It's not just me, most IT websites have also reported this result:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ice-pack-light

Cameron Smeal May 30th, 2009 09:06 AM

Install of SP2 had slight hiccup and then retried and was fine. PP 4.1 and AE 9.0.2 both very smooth. All running well. Fingers crossed.

Glenn Babcock May 30th, 2009 09:19 AM

FWIW, I went from Vista 32-bit SP1 to Windows 7 64-bit and I'm not looking back! Windows 7 is MUCH better, as is 64-bit. I have seen big performance improvements and the OS is very stable.

Glenn

Rick Casillas May 30th, 2009 02:19 PM

Glenn,

I am currently running XP 32 and considering Win 7 64, are you able to run PP CS4 and Cineform? I would love to know that before I decide to move in that direction.

Any other application issues?

Thanks,

Rick C.

Glenn Babcock May 30th, 2009 04:55 PM

Rick,

Yes, that's my setup. I built it clean, installed the latest drivers I could find, and then installed CS4. Ran MUCH faster than Vista 32-bit and MUCH more stable. I have 8GB of RAM and with 64-bit I can use it all.

I've just started using PHD, and initially was using the v4 Beta. There have been issues, and I'm still having some trouble with rendering, but that is as much Adobe as CF, if not more. I then installed CS3 with PHD4 and that runs great.

No other app issues.

Glenn