What are the NeoScene settings for HV30 30P footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Major Player

What are the NeoScene settings for HV30 30P footage

Do I leave it on Maintain Source or Deinterlace? I captured an entire tape using the Maintain Source setting and it captured it with fields instead of progressive...

EDit: just tried the Deinterlace setting and the footage still comes out tagged as non-progressive.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Where is saying it is stagged as interlaced? Some NLEs can report incorrectly.
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Within Vegas's project bin. When you click on each clip, it displays the properties of the clip at the bottom of the window.

Okay, assume Vegas is incorrectly reporting it, which setting within NeoScene should I use?

Also, a properly transcoded 30P file should play properly in Media Player right? I get field flashes in Media Player.
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I think Vegas always report interlaced for 1080 sources form Video for Windows. I just tested with HUFFYUV, so it is not a bug. Just tell Vegas your souce is Progressive, and use the default settings in Neo Scene (deinterlace will reduce vertical resolution.)
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Major Player

The issue is that these clips are being imported into Vegas as interlaced.. there is no way of batch selecting all of them and change them all to progressive. I'd have to individually go into Properties for each clip and select Progressive.
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is a better question for Vegas support. You might not need to do anything, if you use a progressive timeline.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Hmm i've confirmed that even in a progressive timeline if you drag clips that were incorrectly tagged as non-progressive by Vegas, it will still apply Deinterlacing on it. I was able to make out significant resolution recovery when changing the clip properties from Upper First to Progressive. My solution was to disable Deinterlace at the project properties level, after that, the field order in the clip properties no longer had any effect.

Last edited by Yang Wen; June 6th, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is a good solution, thanks for reporting this.
Old June 6th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #9
New Boot

Yang,

Very long I didn't shoot something in 25p (I prefer 50i) but I think I still remember what you shoul do with 30p in Vegas. I did it many times with filmed SD 25p video.

When you shoot with HV30 in 30p, your material is progressive and will look like progressive but it is stored in interlaced container.

So, David correctly told that you should do nothing special in Neo Scene - you should render it with default settings (no deinterlace).

After that, you still have interlaced configuration of your material, but which will on playing look like progressive.

So, in this case such material Vegas correctly sees like interlaced (because Vegas can't know that you filmed with 30p - Vegas sees interlaced form and container of video).

Now, you have two possibilities in Vegas (if you for example want to render for Blu Ray).

1) You want render to interlaced - in this case in Project properties you should have Field order: Upper field first; Deinterlace method: not important here but leave it on for example Blend Fields; render that with Blu-Ray 60i template

2) You want render to progressive - in this case in Project properties you should put (change) Field order to: Progressive; Deinterlace method: None; render that with Blu-Ray 30p template

In both cases (1 and 2) you should get same looking video when playing on Blu Ray player. They will look the same and they will both look progressive.

Some people prefer option 2, because they are afraid that their Blu Ray player will not correctly interprete that video because it is not good deinterlacer. It is very possible, but I didn't notice such a problems, at least with my DVD players and SD video.

Option 1 is more safe if you want video which is legal in terms of Blu Ray specifications (there is not official 25p or 30p, but only 24p 1080 Blu Ray video). And I noticed that some authoring programs want to rerender 1080p25 video. But, PS3 for example don't have any problems with such 1080p25 video on Blu Ray.

So,all depends on for what you need your video and what will be your final format. But one is very sure - if you filmed with 30p it will be no big mistake if you interpret it from the begining to the end like interlaced - because when played on good player it will look good and it will look like progressive video.
Ivan Seso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase