DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Prospect HD and Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/238457-prospect-hd-vegas.html)

Marty Baggen July 4th, 2009 11:38 PM

Prospect HD and Vegas

I am considering updating my Vegas 8 to version 9, and wondering how Prospect HD ties in with its use.

I have only used Vegas for sound work, never for video, so any input from users that have gone from Premiere CS3 or later, to Vegas... or vice versa, I would value the info.

Would I capture with Vegas 9 or HD Link, then import my clips?

All things being equal so far as computer power... does Vegas sacrifice realtime playback from the timeline at full res?

Is First Light affected by whether the NLE is Premiere or Vegas?

David Newman July 5th, 2009 10:12 AM

Under Vegas Prospect HD functions more like Neo HD. With v4 you now get 64-bit support under Vegas 9 (if you running a 64-bit OS.) First Light works great, as does HDLink. What you lose is custom transitions and effects and the real-time pipeline you current get only under CS3. Vegas supports multiple resolution decodes also, so you get good through for many classes of PC. CineForm is a popular intermediate for Vegas.

Marty Baggen July 5th, 2009 10:52 AM

Hi David... thanks for the info.

It sounds like there is no downside to implementing a 64-bit Vegas alongside CS3 or CS4 depending on the flavor of the project and personal preference.

Another Premiere advantage seems to be the batch capture function. Is this a feature that has been pondered for HD Link?

David Newman July 5th, 2009 12:30 PM

Pondered, yes, but never makes to the highest priority -- and get lower with fewer tape based cameras entering the market.

Peter Beeh July 5th, 2009 05:24 PM

David, Someone has mentioned Vegas only outputs via an 8 bit pipeline and a 10bit pipeline is only supported via the Sony YUV Codec. Is this true, and if so how do we benefit from using cineform as a 10 bit intermediate for rushes, as well as the format to which to render material on the Vegas timeline...? Thanks,

David Newman July 5th, 2009 05:33 PM

Vegas supports a 32-bit float pipeline, but for most codecs there is only an 8-bit input and output path -- including CineForm. This is much less of an issue now that we have First Light, as corrections within that tool are high precision whether you use Vegas or not for finishing.

Eugenia Loli-Queru July 5th, 2009 07:54 PM

I found Vegas 9 _very_ unstable with Cineform. I used NeoHD 3.x to render and Vegas 9 crashed all too often. So I decided to upgrade to the latest decoder (via Cineform Player) and this fixed most of the crashes, but it still has red frame problems, or the plugins misbehave (e.g. Magic Bullet). The updated AVI .dll Sony released a few days ago did not fix the problem.

I had absolutely none of these problems with Vegas 8, on the same machine, just a few days ago before I updated it to Vegas 9.

David Newman July 5th, 2009 08:46 PM

Eugenia,

We have not be getting any reports of this, and we had a lot of beta testing on the Sony forums. Try the latest CineForm software: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...-software.html. I find Vegas 9 works quite well, putting Premiere CS4 to shame.

Gary Brun July 5th, 2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 1167612)
Eugenia,

We have not be getting any reports of this, and we had a lot of beta testing on the Sony forums. Try the latest CineForm software: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...-software.html. I find Vegas 9 works quite well, putting Premiere CS4 to shame.

I agree I have no problems with Vegas 9 64bit and Cineform.
in fact its very fast and is knocking spots of CS4 at the moment.
I am looking forward to the CS4 Cineform real time stuff.
Wish Adobe would pull their fingers out as its a pain being a beta tester on "full" software.

Eugenia Loli-Queru July 6th, 2009 12:22 AM

David, it does not work properly for me. I run Vegas32 on Vista64, Vegas 8 works perfectly. I will email you about the situation, since there are contracts involved so I can't reply in detail here.

Peter Beeh July 6th, 2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 1167537)
This is much less of an issue now that we have First Light, as corrections within that tool are high precision whether you use Vegas or not for finishing.

This is very much going through my mind...
But I am at a loss to identify at this stage a practical workflow that relates to shots, or more imortantly groups of shots within a sequence on the timeline which I might like to manipulate. How do we identify these, get these into first light to work them etc. I tried a copy and paste of selected clips from the Vegas project media bin for example, but all that did was cause First Light to crash... Are there plans to develop tools that will help facilitate workflows for simple colour correction?