Trouble ticket still pending at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Tourist

Trouble ticket still pending

Hi,

I submitted a trouble ticket 9 days ago (ticket no. 611-7880658) about crashes in AE CS3. It still has the status "open" so I was wondering how long it usually takes until these tickets are processed.

I need a transcoder for my AVCHD footage (Panasonic HMC151) in order to edit it in Premiere/After Effects CS3. I was convinced that Cineform would be the right solution but then I experienced crashes in AE that occured as soon as I imported the footage or draged it onto the timeline.
I need to make a decision about the transcoder soon and right now it seems impossible to use the Cineform files in AE CS3.

Thanks for any help,
Raphi
Raphael Hoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Delayed tickets, can mean that support can't reproduce your issue. CS3 issue is old stuff to us, and should be working fine. However you should have had a reply, do check your spam folder, that is likely why to didn't receive a reply.

Follow up on you ticket, say you did n'treceive a reply -- offer a second email if you can.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
Tourist

All my spam filters are always deactivated (exactly because of that reason). I just double checked. I didn't receive any response, only the confirmation mail that my ticket was accepted.
So what now? Should I wait longer for the support to reply? Or is my problem of minor interest and I shouldn't expect any further help?

Just asking because I have not much time for my project.
Cheers,
Raphi

PS: If anyone can help me, here is the description of my problem:

Description of Problem:
In Premiere everything works fine. No crashes. However, when I import cineform footage into After Effects CS 3 it crashes at different points. Sometimes (very rarely) it doesn't crash, but usually after I drag the footage from the project bin into the timeline and slide through a couple of frames it crashes. Either After Effects completely disappears or it hangs and I have to kill the process manually through the task manager.

Precise Steps to Reproduce the Problem:
I converted some HMC150 test footage with NeoScene using the highest quality settings. The converted file is about 580 MB large and last about 30 seconds. If I import this file into After Effects and drag it onto the timeline it usually crashes after a couple of frames. Sometimes it already crashes as soon as I drop it onto the timeline (without viewing any frame).

Sidenote: I already ran the "Fix After Effects" script that comes with NeoScene. I don't know what this script does (no documentation) but it didn't help. Also, I thought it could be related to my Blackmagic Intensity Pro, but even if I disable it in After Effects (under Video Preview) the problem remains the same.

Problem Type: Crash or Bug
CPU: Intel Quad Core
CPU Speed: 2.5GHz - 3GHz
CPU Configuration: Double Dual-Core
Main Memory: Dual-Channel DDR SDRAM
Memory Amount: >=4GB
Video Drive: Dedicated single video drive
System Usage: General Usage also (Email, Internet, Office, etc.)
Motherboard Manufacturer: Gigabyte
Motherboard Model #: GA-EP45-DS3R, Intel P45, FSB 1600
Camera/Deck Model #: Panasonic AG-HMC150
Graphics Card Model #: Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT 128MB
CineForm Product: NEO Scene
Version and Build #: Neo Scene 1.3 Build 1.3.2.117
Serial Number: trial version
NLE Version: Premiere Pro CS3
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm not sure about the differences between Prospect HD and Neo Scene, but I have no problem (using a similar computer set-up as yours except no Black-Magic) using the HDLink in ProspectHD to convert SONY Handycam AVCHD files to Cineform .avi and then and dragging one of the cineform clips to the New Comp icon in the project window after importing the clip into AE.

This creates a 1920x1080 comp and the clip plays perfectly from the timeline. I'm using xppro with AE CS3.

John Rich
John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

They both use the same importer component in AE CS3. That should be who it works.

Raphael, try the beta posted a few days ago.
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #6

I had the same problem with CS3. After an upgrade to CS4, the problem went away.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Tourist

Hi all,

first of all, thanks for your comments, especially for the last one from Bill. Although it doesn't solve my problem it's still helpful that other people had similar issues. And maybe the solution for me will indeed be an update to CS4.

Anyway, I downloaded the most recent NeoScene version from the "July 4th" thread. By the way, I can't do the transcoding of my AVCHD files anymore since my trial expired. But after the installation I imported the old transcoded CineForm files into AE. Unfortuantely, it still crashes. The only difference is an error message that appears now (see screenshot).

Anyway, my support ticket is processed now. So I am not that desperate anymore. Nevertheless, if anyone has an idea what I should test I really appreciate your comments.

Cheers,
Raphi
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble ticket still pending-aescreenshot2.jpg  
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I seem to have a similar problem with the wait time...

Originally, my C drive crashed (and died) and I lost my activation key (along with everything else) and so when my computer was back up and running with a new drive, I reinstalled Aspect HD and tried to enter the activation code.

No luck.

So, I e-mailed support and they instructed me to download the latest version (4.3) and provided me with an activation key (the same one I was using before) and I kept getting a message stating that the key is invalid. I re-opened the ticket and informed tech support, and they needed to see a screenshot of the error message.

I did this a full week ago, and haven't heard anything. (The ticket is still listed as "Work in Progress") I've been checking my e-mail, and nothing there either. So far I've been able to pacify my clients, but the clock is ticking and I really need this to be resolved. (This doesn't sound like a "never-happened-before" situation, so I'm scratching my head over why this seems to be a mind-boggler...)
Jonathan Pokay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase