DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   I think I should get cineform (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/240025-i-think-i-should-get-cineform.html)

Sassi Haham July 30th, 2009 12:27 PM

I think I should get cineform

I am migrating to AVCHD GH1 and am using Vegas 8.0.
My machine for the next few month will be a laptop with Intel core 2 2.4 GHz.
The logical step would be installing Neoscene or NeoHD.
After reading some of the sticky posts and the Cinform site, I would still like to ask some questions.

1. Are the files created (cineform.avi) dependent on the software ? From now on, I would archive master files as Cineform.avi ,would those files play/act also on different machines without a cineform application installed ? Are they equivalent to other Avi files ?

2. From your experience ,for how long the purchase would last ? Should I expect to pay for upgrade every ??? years ?

3. On Neoscene there is no HDlink , so no batch capture ? How does it deal with directory full of files ?

Thanks
Sassi

Chris Barcellos July 30th, 2009 12:50 PM

"1. Are the files created (cineform.avi) dependent on the software ? From now on, I would archive master files as Cineform.avi ,would those files play/act also on different machines without a cineform application installed ? Are they equivalent to other Avi files ?"

The Cineform playback codec is required for other people to view them, or for a machine you own that does not have Cineform installed. The player codec is a free download. You will even be able to edit on time line with the player codec, but will not be able to render out to another cineform codec.

"2. From your experience ,for how long the purchase would last ? Should I expect to pay for upgrade every ??? years ? "

I bought the codec about two years about for about $200 as I recall, That was called NeoHDV, if I recall correctly. I never paid for another upgrade, and still have that version available to use. Since I moved to the Canon 5D, I had to add NeoScene, a new version. Did that for a minimal $ 69.00 upgrade price.

"3". On Neoscene there is no HDlink , so no batch capture ? How does it deal with directory full of files ?"

HD link is still there with NeoScene. It has less options in terms of file output, but it is handled in same way. Batch processing is still there. I personally offload my AVCHD files from the 5D to my hard drive, and convert to Cineform Codec for editing as I need them. I would maintain them only in the original format after editing. If I have to reconvert later, to recreate an edit I can, as Cineforms naming convention will reproduce the same file name.

Thanks
Sassi[/QUOTE]

David Newman July 30th, 2009 12:53 PM

1) AVI is just a wrapper. So use any third party AVI you need to install a decoder. The CineForm decoder for Mac and PC is free.
Neo Player Downloads

2) About 2 years. Upgrades are typicall 20-30% of the current MSRP.

3) In Neo Scene, HDLink simplied and call "Neo Scene" and is will batch convert your directory for of HDV, AVCHD or 5D files.

Go for Neo HD if you want non-destructive color correction (with First Light) and/or scaling and motion filter during HDLink batch conversion.