Interlace or not? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Interlace or not?

I film with sony fx7e pal 1080i
should I deinterlace while capturing with cineform neoscene or not

I am aiming to output to both blue and dvd from a final edit in prem cs3 then master with encore

I am unsure if Interlace is best off from the start to avoid probs

anyone?

thanks alot

phil
Phil Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coronado Island
Posts: 1,452
People do it both ways. There is no "right" answer.
I would point out that 1080 Blu Ray is natively interlaced. If I were delivering on Blu Ray, I would stay interlaced thru the entire post production chain.
__________________
Bob
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
Posts: 8,090
BlurRay is either 24p to 60i, only SD DVD is natively interlaced only.
__________________
David Newman -- web: www.gopro.com
blog: cineform.blogspot.com -- twitter: twitter.com/David_Newman
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coronado Island
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
BlurRay is either 24p to 60i, only SD DVD is natively interlaced only.
Quite so. My point only was that if you have shot in 1080i, then it's a straight path to BR delivery.
__________________
Bob
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ogden UT
Posts: 40
While I'm using CS4, the flow should work in CS3, as well. I shot HDV with my HC3, and imported the video with NeoScene, retaining the native video format, 1080i. After editing, I exported the video in MPEG2 Blu-Ray format, still retaining the 1440x1080i native video format. On my Core i7 machine, it exported much faster than realtime. I created an Encore project in Blu-Ray format and burned the BD-RE disc. Then I told Encore to Build a DVD, which caused it to transcode the video to DVD format and burn the DVD, without having to make any changes to the Encore project. I call that a real time saver.

Keeping the video in the native format sped up the whole process dramatically, and the Blu-Ray player handled it fine.
John Quandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #6
New Boot
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Quandt View Post
While I'm using CS4, the flow should work in CS3, as well. I shot HDV with my HC3, and imported the video with NeoScene, retaining the native video format, 1080i. After editing, I exported the video in MPEG2 Blu-Ray format, still retaining the 1440x1080i native video format. On my Core i7 machine, it exported much faster than realtime. I created an Encore project in Blu-Ray format and burned the BD-RE disc. Then I told Encore to Build a DVD, which caused it to transcode the video to DVD format and burn the DVD, without having to make any changes to the Encore project. I call that a real time saver.

Keeping the video in the native format sped up the whole process dramatically, and the Blu-Ray player handled it fine.
Hi John
this is what I was looking for, can you tell me when you exported to 1440x1080i Blu-Ray Format and made your Blu-Ray Disc in Encore, when doing the dvd did you have to alter the field order from Upper to Lower for the DVD Encore or did you leave it as it was?
Phil Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Coronado Island
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Green View Post
when doing the dvd did you have to alter the field order from Upper to Lower for the DVD Encore or did you leave it as it was?
You definitely should stay in UFF field order. DVDs will play UFF with no problem.
Changing the field order can certainly be done, but it is an unnecessary invitation for problems & artifact.
The conventional wisdom that DVDs must be LFF is simply not true. My projects are nearly all delivered on DVD & BR- all the disks are UFF :)
__________________
Bob
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ogden UT
Posts: 40
I let Encore decide what to do when transcoding the DVD version, and it came out great.
John Quandt is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network