Neo Scene audio synch loss on 5D2 footage... help? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #16
Inner Circle

In fact, it is off at beginning of my clip (5 secoonds in) with cursor passing clap sound almost 2 frames ahead of video... mic about 4 feet away.
Attached Thumbnails
Neo Scene audio synch loss on 5D2 footage... help?-timelineoffbegging.jpg  
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Wrangler

Phew, glad it's not just me!

Chris, can you check 2 other things for me:
1) compare the Cineform clip to the source and tell me if the Cineform clip has the first few frames (maybe 5-10) of either the lead or tail clipped off? Not that they are important, just curious.
2) tell me how many frames out of synch the avi audio is from the source mov audio at the 5 minuteish point? I just want to see if it is the same as mine so I can tell if I'm doing anything else wrong. :)

Thanks!
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As we where never sent the 5D Canon said they would, we need to see if this is due to the firmware changes. All our existing 5D sources are in sync.

So please upload a good sync test (MOV) clip to ftp://ftp.cineform.com/pub/incoming -- just open a windows explorer window put the ftp address in the path, and draw your MOV into this window. Anyone ASAP, as we are wrapping up the next release to go out tomorrow.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
As we where never sent the 5D Canon said they would, we need to see if this is due to the firmware changes. All our existing 5D sources are in sync.

So please upload a good sync test (MOV) clip to ftp://ftp.cineform.com/pub/incoming -- just open a windows explorer window put the ftp address in the path, and draw your MOV into this window. Anyone ASAP, as we are wrapping up the next release to go out tomorrow.
I'm running the original Canon 5D2 firmware, haven't updated, mine is straight out of the box.

The test clip I did last night is 2.5gb, maybe a little beefy :)

EDIT: I shot a new 2 minute clip that clocks in at under a gig. I think the sound is 5 or 6 frames out of synch from the video at the end of it. Uploading it now as CineformSynchTest.avi

Hope you guys can fix it before the next one!
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We need the original MOV not the converted files. All our MOVs convert is sync, we need one that doesn't. Pleae upload that instead.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I am uploading a file now, numbered, and it is original I posted time line on last night. It is about 1.7 gig... a nearly 6 minute file. Looks like its not taking it up very fast. Should I try a smaller file ? I am on a pretty good optical system here, and can usually up load a 100 meg file to YouTube in a minute or so. So not sure where bottleneck is.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Phew, glad it's not just me!

Chris, can you check 2 other things for me:
1) compare the Cineform clip to the source and tell me if the Cineform clip has the first few frames (maybe 5-10) of either the lead or tail clipped off? Not that they are important, just curious.
2) tell me how many frames out of synch the avi audio is from the source mov audio at the 5 minuteish point? I just want to see if it is the same as mine so I can tell if I'm doing anything else wrong. :)

Thanks!
There is no doubt they will be out of synch. This is because the original is running at 30 fps, and the Cineform has been conformed or retimed to 29.97 fps. Cineform made the decision to do this based on its belief that the editing files should conform to 29.97 fps. There was and may still be some dispute as to what frame rate the camera actually records.

You need to upgraded to firmware 1.10 from Canon. In manual mode you have absolute control of shutter speed, aperature, and ISO ! Just be sure camera is set up in LiveView, Movies and Stills, and set in Movie mode under the subsetting there. If you don't do that, it will still act like it is in auto.

Edit: I checked frames at begining of clip, and everything seemed to be in line at beginning of both clips... Frames identical in initial frames. then I realigned everything to make the ends match up, checking frames again. Though I couldn't get an exact matchup at end, they had same last frames..
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
We need the original MOV not the converted files. All our MOVs convert is sync, we need one that doesn't. Pleae upload that instead.
Too late, I uploaded both versions of my 2 minute clip. :)
Please keep us updated on your findings, I'm happy to help run any other tests you might have.
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Edit: I checked frames at begining of clip, and everything seemed to be in line at beginning of both clips... Frames identical in initial frames. then I realigned everything to make the ends match up, checking frames again. Though I couldn't get an exact matchup at end, they had same last frames..
Check the audio tracks of both the original MOV and CFHD AVI files for a clip that has sound all the way to the end, on a Vegas 29.97 timeline. Do the tail ends of the audio waveforms look the same to you? Don't stretch the original MOV file to match the AVI. Just look at the tail ends. You might have to zoom in on the timeline a lot.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
Check the audio tracks of both the original MOV and CFHD AVI files for a clip that has sound all the way to the end, on a Vegas 29.97 timeline. Do the tail ends of the audio waveforms look the same to you? Don't stretch the original MOV file to match the AVI. Just look at the tail ends. You might have to zoom in on the timeline a lot.

Mine don't match up in any way.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thank for those who uploaded samples, we found the issue and it is fixed and the patch will make tomorrows release.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #27
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Here is early access to what we currently think is the next release version:

Neo Scene : http://www.cineform.com/downloads/Ne...121-090806.zip
Neo HD : http://www.cineform.com/downloads/Ne...217-090723.zip

The rest to follow tomorrow.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #28
Wrangler

Quote:
Thank for those who uploaded samples, we found the issue and it is fixed and the patch will make tomorrows release.
Downloaded the new version and confirmed, it's fixed. Glad I could help. It feels... weird... to be part of the solution instead of part of the problem! :)

Also, impressed that you could find it and fix it so quickly. Nicely done!
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #29
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Fast confirmation is very helpful to. That was a very useful and accurate sync test you uploaded. Thanks also to Chris how jumped to this with an upload.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Great guys..... I will download too....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase