export Cineform m2t from PPro and use with ClipWrap to edit in FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

export Cineform m2t from PPro and use with ClipWrap to edit in FCP?

Here's the situation. I'm editing an indie feature with PPro and Cineform (PC). Recently my director and I recruited a mentor of ours to cut a trailer for us. He's a Final Cut user (Mac, obviously) and doesn't use Cineform as an intermediate. So, here's a thought...
Can I export pieces of my edited timeline as one large Cineform m2t file then have him use ClipWrap to edit? I guess my real question is this. Is Cineform m2t a standard m2t file format or does it require a valid Cineform product to be installed?
Before anyone suggested it, he already has ClipWrap and doesn't feel the need to purchase a Cineform product for himself (even after many attempts to convert him) and we as the filmmakers can't afford it. Our budget is dry. Thanks.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

CineForm intermediate works fine with FCP. If they only need to read the files, then NeoPlayer will allow FCP to read the files. The editor just needs to set up a ProRes timeline.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Wrangler

Here's a good tech note for using Cineform files on an FCP timeline. Your mentor just needs to install the free NEO Player to have the Cineform decoder installed on his Mac.
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Of course! I didn't even consider using Neo Player. Well, now I feel a little silly having asked the question.
Thanks, guys. Perfect answer.
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually, one little question.
I'm assuming it's best to encode the timeline as CF Quicktime as apposed to AVI for the Mac. Is this correct or will it really matter?
Thanks.

Last edited by Chad Haufschild; August 12th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It does not matter, FCP will read either. If you have adjusted color, or applied looks using FirstLight, you do need to copy files from the database so the adjustments show up on the Mac.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Update

Thanks again, guys. The process works perfectly. Installed Neo Player on the Mac, setup the proper sequence settings and like magic it plays and edits perfectly. The editor was estonished by the picture and playback quality. We may just have converted a ProRes user.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase