Aspect HD activation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 24th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Aspect HD activation

Is that true that i can only use aspect hd on one computer at a time...something like this i read on their website but i am not quite sure....i have a laptop which i carry with me all the time since i am travelling a lot and i have a desktop at home ...i would like to use the software on both...i dont understand why i can only use it on one computer if that is the case...
Anybody has any idea...??
Thanks
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

These guys are great at cineform...i emailed them and they cleared the picture for me...
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Major Player

I've been wondering about that. What was the solution?

I run FCP and Premiere Pro on workstations and laptops and those can only be installed on one machine and that makes life a lot more expensive. I don't really se the point in buying the same software twice so I can run it on two machines.
Old September 4th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

from the point of view of the guys who get twice the money, i am sure you would understand....
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Oh, I see. That's why big companies doesn't use off the shelf software. All that licensing would take to much time and in the end be too expensive. Companies like ILM and Pixar use proprietary or in house software.

I own probably twenty licenses of QuickTime Pro (all Mac). If I where to install one single licens that I can't prove on paper was purcheased by me on one of my PC's I would become a thief. Bottom line? That's rediculous. I own one Mac right now and twenty QT Pro licenses. I mean; who is really the thief?

I don't mean to bash CineForm. I do see their motif; they hate piracy (who doesn't?) and want to maximize profit (who doesn't?). I'm just venting something that can be extremely frustrating when you're an independent filmmaker trying to get as far as possible on all this prosumer gear.

How on earth do you integrate Aspect HD in an AE pipeline if there is no basic codec available? It doesn't seem sane to buy a unique licens for every render engine (free from Adobe) on the network.

To bad I'm not a programmer or a techie really. If I was I would write my own Open Source NLE and my own wavelet based or long GOP codec. Considering all the money I've spent on software and upgrades the last five years it would equal my programmers salary + I would have an NLE just like I wan't it (and perhaps I could afford a vacation when I'm done). The Linux community has a lot of great tools for compositing(FilmGimp) and 3D(Blender, Wings 3D) but really nothing on the video editing side. I'm amazed there is still only Cinelerra out there.
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Martin,

If you read Gabor earily message regarding CineForm's licensing policy you would see that he is happy. If you had contacted us regarding any of these issues you would be happy. You reacted to Giroud Francois comments that have no bearing on the facts at CineForm or Gabor's orginal post. True our software is locked to a node, but we issue additional licenses for common workflows (such as for laptop for in-field work away from the primary PC.) In fact the decoder for CFHD is not even node locked, you can run it on any number of PCs, free of charge, without even contacting us for a license. That means your many AE systems can use CineForm encoded files. We consider ourselves (CineForm) to be very friendly to the independent filmmaker community. Please do better research before making negative comments about a friendly company when we are doing our best to support our customers.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm
Old September 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks, David.

As I said my post had nothing to do with Cineform really. It's the general attitude in the software business that bugs me (My example was QuickTime). I'm happy to hear that Cineform isn't doing what Giroud Francois suggested. My post was only a reaction to his statement. I didn't claim to have done any research on the matter nor do I have to do research regarding everything people claim on internet forums.

May I suggest that you add what you just told me about CFHD not beeing locked to a node to the Cineform website? I haven't found any of that info on the Aspect HD pages or elsewhere. Perhaps if I spend a good amount of time on the knowledge base I would find it.
Old September 6th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I wish i never made this post because these guys at cineform contacted me in a matter of hours of my request and we found a solution together.THEY were very friendly and look into each individual user problem and willing to help at any time.
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Can you kill your thread. I agree some have, and will, make this into something that could hurt us all.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If somebody tell me how to kill this thread I will.......
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I can kill the thread, but it is now unnecessary. Everything is now clear, and dispite the few twists and turns, it now is informative to others with these questions.
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #12
Major Player

Let me just add again that I think it's great that CineForm is working for the independent community the way they seem to do. That's rare and should be endorsed.

I know I'm going Boxx HD [pro] RT for my next feature film.
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

As a matter of policy, we tend not to kill these threads because people can learn a lot from reading them. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase