New LUTs for First Light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #1
CTO, CineForm Inc.

New LUTs for First Light

In the next release we intend to include a link to separate package to add more looks (3D LUTs) to First Light -- greatly expanding your creativity for color design. You can download this today as these LUTs where used to finish both CineForm's films entered for last week's 48 Hour Film Project. Get the LUTs are read more from my blog: CineForm Insider: Theatrical Successes
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Are these LUTs designed to be used with the Cineform RAW from the SI-2K or are they more intended for non RAW cameras that already have some colour info baked in?
Rohan Dadswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Both. As First Light can alter the saturation/matrix and curves on the input of the LUT, all source types work. The blog discusses how the two films both used these LUT, yet one film was made with a Canon HV30 the other SI-2K.
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Trustee

Awesome - I start really digging the First Light :)

Where can we get MORE of the LUTs?

Is there a universal source?

Say, if I wanted to get a look of 3-strip Technicolor via use of LUT, where would I download it?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

In Prospect HD CS3 you can create you own LUTs with the Look exporter. More info here http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=1871 If you create a 3-strip look, can you please share.
Old August 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Trustee

LOL, looks like 3-strip is popular again these days ;) Will do if I come across a good one.

Problem: I followed the tutorial in your blog, but got an empty LOOK file.

If on export, I set "Entire timeline", then Cineform generates looks from ALL of the clips on the timeline (and they all work fine). This is not what I want, I only want the custom look generated from the clip I currently work on.

So I set work area to the clip I want, choose "Work area only" on export, it seems to be generating something, but 0 bit file is created and no look shows in the database.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

No idea why work bar is not working for you, but your workaround is easy, cut the one segement into a new sequence -- export that.
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the new look pack David. We're far off shooting somewhere in Central Aisa and the new looks will help our process enormously - some of them are right on the mark for us. Thanks again and congratulations on the 48 hour films.

David
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Our color man was just wondering why there were so few LUT's for FL! Presto, I've got a surprise for him tomorrow to already try out on some new material!

We've got a chance to try some of our stuff out on some 4K Sony projectors (which is super overkill for our little 1920x1080p masters), so we'll wow the friend running them and bring it on a PC with direct output to the projector just like you guys did at the festival.

Cineform might even gain some new customers for the 3D codec if we can show if off well...(they're doing some spendy 3D experiments for the giant Petrobras oil company here and never heard of Cineform).

Tnx LUT's and congrads on the festival showing!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase