Adobe to offer Cineform for free? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #16
Trustee

But if Cineform does not offer a discount to Premiere Pro user's, it would mean that anyone could have it for the same price. And that is not fair. We paid for Premiere Pro and expect it to handle HDV. And it will. So that makes Aspect HD an upgrade, not a complete program that we must have.

There has to be some discount from Cineform. Look at it this way. the Premiere Pro plugin does some of the same things that Cineform does, and they use Cineform's technology to do it. Or so we have heard. That means Aspect HD is incrementally better, but not 100% of it is necessary, since we already have some of the capabilities.

A discount would entice people to move up. No discount says that Cineform doesn't care, and doesn't need us. They need to show some love, so we know it is OK to send them our hard earned money.

Just the thought that there might be a discount means we would be wrong to buy it now. We must wait. Which is sad for those with a trial running out. Or already expired.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We dropped the price on Aspect HD from $999 to $499 for this very reason -- this price drop happened at the annoucement of Adobe licensing of some our technology. Unfortunately the Adobe release took a little longer than we had hoped, so some of you have gotten used to the $499 price (it has only been 6 weeks), but effectively we are offering you the discounted price today. The Aspect HD price WILL NOT change at the release of Adobe's HDV support. We feel it is correctly priced for those wishing for the additional performance, features, support and benefits of becoming a CineForm customer (we have beening provided regular free enhancements, which should continue, Adobe can't offer this at the rate a small company like CineForm can.)
Old January 8th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #18
Inner Circle

David,

Thanks for the very fast reply! Due to my own ignorance or naiveté, I too thought that Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 did HDV, as well as DV. I then found out that it not only does not do HDV, but it also does not do SD. I have the JVC JY-HD10, and I want to use some of the SD and HD features.

Indulge my ignorance, but is Cineform Aspect just a means of capturing HD, (and SD I hope), or do you then have to edit thru Cineform. I have invested much of my money and time in Pro 1.5, and training for it and do not need to see that go to waste. I have looked at the Cineform website and can’t determine for sure if they just offer HD capture update software or full editing software.

Will the Cineform software Abode offers be all that I will need into the future, or will it leave me still needing a full Cineform Aspect HD purchase again later. I would be willing to spend the money for an upgrade as suggested in the previous post, as I would then know that I was done spending my hard earned and as yet unable to recoup money?

I guess it come down to this, what is the difference in what Adobe will, (or will not) offer and what Cineform sells for $499.00. Do I need to learn any different editing systems, or just capturing?

Thanks very much again for your help and I do really appreciate being able to ask you these questions. Cineform should pay you overtime!

Also: To those wanting to learn Adobe Premiere Pro, I strongly endorse the Total Training CD training set. It’s about 7 CD and it is the best training series I have ever seen. It has taken me from the dark into the light!

Many-many thanks--Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Mike,

Aspect HD is very like a software version Canopus or Matrox hardware acceleration solution; i.e. the usage of Premiere is nearly indentical but with much higher performance. Aspect HD doesn't replace any exiting Premiere features, but it does add some new features. Learning to use Aspect HD is easy. We aren't far away from when we can describe the differences in more detail, but performance will be a key distinguishing feature.

Thanks for the "overtime" comments; where not that sort of company -- I'm here because I want to be here. :)
Old January 8th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #20
Trustee

David,

Thanks for the info. I know that a lot of us are extremely happy with Aspect HD. I certainly am floored by the wonderful realtime experience. I just wanted to know that I was not jumping the gun and costing myself some small discount to be offered the day after my credit card was charged.

This is getting expensive. In the last month or so:

FX1 = $4305 with all of the extras
HDTV = $4152 with tax and delivery
HD DVD = $330 with extra long cable and delivery

And now $499 for Aspect HD

It is getting tougher and tougher to justify expenses. But I am very happy with the product and have no choice but to buy it.

Actually, I don't have a copy of Audition or Encore because I already owned Premiere Pro and After Effects Pro when the collection came out. So maybe I will take advantage of the just spending an additional $300 to get them and sell off the extra Premiere Pro to make up some of the difference.

Do you know if they come in their own box like from Adobe, or are they OEM packages?
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Gotz : David,
Actually, I don't have a copy of Audition or Encore because I already owned Premiere Pro and After Effects Pro when the collection came out. So maybe I will take advantage of the just spending an additional $300 to get them and sell off the extra Premiere Pro to make up some of the difference.

Do you know if they come in their own box like from Adobe, or are they OEM packages? -->>>

We have an OEM agreement with Adobe, so the Adobe bundle will use OEM packaging, but they are otherwise full versions.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:30 PM   #22
Inner Circle

David,

I see now that you are offering Cineform in a bundle with Premiere Pro, Encore, etc. for 7 something. Less than I have already spent for Premiere Pro 1.5, Encore 1.5, and After Effects, and already registered!

What is the new info on Adobes offering of Cineform? Can I break out your bundled Adobe products and sell them to recoop my loss or how is this going to work. Looks like it went in reverse!

Thanks--Mike
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:11 PM   #23
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The three software packages bundled with Aspect HD are OEM version. There are not to for separate sale, but they are full versions (without the fancy enternal packaging.)
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:42 PM   #24
Inner Circle

David,

Maybe I didn't quite make my post clear. Is the Adobe offering of CineForm still going through? We are into February now and you are offering their software bundle, but they are not offering yours yets? I bought my Encore and Effects while awaiting the Adobe CineForm release!!!!

Also, does your software support my JVC CU-HV1 editing deck?

I don't buy pirated software, but I can sure see why other people might do just that! It is frustrating to spend the money only to find out you may have been taken for a long ride on a short road. It is of course Adobe who appears to be dragging their feet and not your company, but the result is the same. Sometimes you feel like scraping all you have and going to someone else. At this time I am very disapointed with Adobe!

Thanks David,

Mike
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:32 PM   #25
Trustee

Mike,

Adobe has said they are testing the new release. They just haven't said when they expect it to be finished.

I suggest that you buy Aspect HD anyway. It is way too easy to use, and you will only be dissapointed with the lack of realtime effects in Premiere Pro when Aspect HD gives them to you easily.

Just my $0.02
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:17 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Steven,

Thanks, I think that is what I will do. Doesn't sound good to me that Adobe is TESTING! This is obviously not a full CineForm version then, and the last thing I need is bugs!

Again thanks Steven, but don't tell me it is simple or easy, you didn't try starting to learn all of this at 57! HA! I'd like to have the fast processor in my head as well as the computer. I need to find a 6 year old to learn it for me? Knew I should have played more Pong when I was younger!

Best of luck to you,

Mike Teutsch
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM   #27
Trustee

Mike,

You are correct. I didn't buy my first camcorder until I was 48. Just 4 years ago. But I like to keep up with the kids. It is fun because I can afford the toys many of them can only dream about. Making six figures on a boring job has at least that one advantage.

I didn't get into this until Premiere 6.0 came out.

It really is easy to use Aspect HD. You will be quite pleased.

Very simply, you download and install it. Then use a program called HDLink (comes with Aspect HD) to capture the video. It will convert the M2T to a Cineform AVI for you. Just use the Medium (default) setting. If you want to have the M2T files as well, it will do that too. They are handy for archiving instead of the larger AVI files.

Then import that AVI into a project created in Premiere Pro using the newly installed Cineform presets.

Put the video on the sequence. Look! No red line. No need to render. Press the play button. It plays smoothly. It is a miracle! I was shocked at first, now I hardly notice.

So, as long as you use the Cineform supplied effects, you stay realtime.

The only problem is what to do next. The export to WM9 takes about 12 times realtime on my system. Or more. But once I have a WM9 file I can burn it to a DVD-ROM (I use DVD+RW) and then play it on my 60" Sony HDTV using the AVelLinkplayer2.

Easy. Time consuming export to WM9, and I usually do that overnight, but the procedure is simple enough.

There is no question that Premiere Pro will not have the entire Aspect HD program in it. There is an explanation of this on the Cineform page, towards the bottom, here:

http://www.cineform.com/products/AspectHDPPro.htm
Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Steven,

You say to download it, but does it come with a manual? God I'm old, just like to have that book in my hand. I do want the disc eventually and they will send that later! Guess I will just do it now! Sure you don't want to work for CineForm sales?

Have you ever used their support? David is usually very fast to get back on answers to questions online here, but I could wear out my welcome quickly!

Lastly, do you know if it supports my CU-VH1 editing deck?

Thanks---Mike
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM   #29
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes it supports the CU-VH1 editing deck. We use one all the time for testing.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 02:06 PM   #30
Inner Circle

David,

Thank you David. I am at your site on my other computer right now buying CineForm. Wish me luck!

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase