Adobe to offer Cineform for free? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 20th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Adobe to offer Cineform for free?

If I read this article right (see link), it appears that Adobe is essentially going to offer the Cineform HDV plugin for free to Premiere Pro 1.5 owners. That's a pretty impressive step which should further solidify Premiere's lead as the most promising way to do high-quality, real-time editing of HDV material. Top that off with the Sony rep's remark that 3-chip HDV cameras are likely to put a dent in HDCam sales, and it looks like we're finally on the verge of seeing the HDV format really take off. Looks like I'm going to need some extra money for equipment and software next year...

http://premiere.digitalmedianet.com/...e.jsp?id=28667
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Although you will hear a more official details from CineForm soon, there have been enough leaks out there that I can confirm that some of CineForm's technology has been licensed to Adobe for HDV support. We at CineForm are very happy about this. This will only assist professional products like Aspect HD maintain their position as highest performing HDV editing tools.
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks David, I was hoping we'd hear from you about this. If you can provide any further comments about how what Adobe is offering is different from the full Aspect HD plugin, that would be great...otherwise we'll wait for the official announcement.

:-)
Old October 21st, 2004, 09:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Cool! That means we'll get Connect HD for free. Love it.
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:14 PM   #5
Trustee

They are probably in response to Pinnacle shipping Liquid Edition 6 with native HDV. There is a competitive upgrade from Premiere for $299 (which is $100 more than the upgrade from LE 5.5). So, there is some market pressure.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Not just Pinnacle, but also Avid, Ulead, Sony, Canopus, etc. In any case, it sounds like Adobe felt it was time to incorporate HDV support as a standard feature of Premiere Pro, which certainly makes sense. Describing what they're doing as incorporating Connect HD sounds more accurate than the way I entitled my original post.

By the way, I just found out today that the next version of Canopus' HDV editing software will allow both "native" HDV editing or use of their own custom "HQ" codec. The latter will have a variable bit rate setting from 45-250 megabits per second and will be more processor-efficient than native editing, so it sounds like it's similar to what Cineform is doing. Nice to have both options in one program, but it's expensive with a current retail price of $1299 for just the editing software (with limited DVD production ability).

P.S. Okay David, now I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what Canopus is doing, contrary to what I said a few weeks ago about not commenting on competitors' products. My bad.
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:52 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Kevin,

There are similarities in using a higher performing codec (quality and speed) in place of native MPEG editing. The Canopus HQ codec probably has more in common with AVID DNxHD's 8bit codec, given that they are both DCT based. Canopus at least went with a variable bit-rate (unlike Avid) which is a point in their favor. CineForm went with variable bit-rate wavelet compression, as wavelets typically outperform DCT codecs by a reasonable margin (try putting "Wavelet vs DCT" into google for lots of information.)
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

David,

Any news yet on Adobe offering CineForm for free? Time frame maybe? Still on track?

Best of luck!

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sorry, all that information is under NDA.

Stay tuned to cineform.com in the next couple of weeks for several updates.
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Thanks David!
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:39 AM   #11
Trustee

Old thread, but I think you have already figured out that Adobe won't make the expected "Late in the year" release date.

Rumor is now: "Before the end of January".
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

That's odd considering the latest full version of the Cineform plugin is already available, and since that's the one I'd really want I'm not all that worried about Adobe's version. Now that I understand there's a difference, I'll just track what Cineform is offering directly.
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #13
Trustee

If I worked for Cineform, I would make darn sure that there was something I could offer Premiere Pro users that Adobe was not licensing. That is, if that is what Adobe is doing.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Any new word on the Adobe-Cineform offer David. Would really appreciate anything you can provide me.

Machineit@bellsouth.net

Thanks---Mike Teutsch
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #15
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I can only annouce release dates after Adobe annouces. Getting closer though. Of course you don't have to wait for FX1/Z1 support if you buy Aspect HD. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase