DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   AspectHD 2.5 beta lumenance bump (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/35671-aspecthd-2-5-beta-lumenance-bump.html)

David Cherniack November 29th, 2004 07:31 PM

AspectHD 2.5 beta lumenance bump

In the demo on my system when I hit play in PPro 1.5 the lumenance drops a few ire (7.5?) in the monitor window. It doesn't seem to be a config issue.

David Newman November 29th, 2004 08:10 PM

It means you have an NVIDIA card. When we playback we use the YUV overlay for desktop and secondary displays. The level change you are seeing is because the NVIDIA cards are incorrectly calibrated for YUV data. Go into your NVIDIA overlay controls and set your saturation to 100% (it defaults to about 115%) and set you gamma to 1.16 and your overlay brightness to around 110% (this is from memory.) This will fix the NVIDIA calibration issue (with a few tweaks of your own.)

This video card fault stems from the fact that YUV white is officially 235 and computer RGB white is 255. The NVIDIA card seems to think YUV white is 255, causing everything to be darker. ATI doesn't do this.

David Cherniack November 29th, 2004 08:15 PM

Wow. You ARE the CTO. Thanks for the prompt reply.

John Hdmad Young March 15th, 2005 09:33 PM

my problem with lumenance bump still persists - trying the method David instructed without success.

It happened to v2.5. Now I have upgraded to v3.0 (Premiere Pro 1.5.1 as well). This lumenance bump issue remains.

But in Premiere itself (i.e. 720x576), no such phenomenon.

Please help!

David Newman March 15th, 2005 11:16 PM

It is definitely the calibration of your video card (most likely a NVidia as ATI doesn't tend to do this.) Aspect HD plays back using YUV for speed and native color accuracy, the standard Premiere uses RGB (that is why there is a difference -- and one of the many reasons Aspect HD is up to 5X faster.) You should use the suggested controls the calibrate your overlay (YUV) output of your video card. Note: Microsoft Mediaplayer also uses the overlay for video playback, so this is not just an Aspect HD issue.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm

Marc Colemont October 30th, 2006 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
It is definitely the calibration of your video card (most likely a NVidia as ATI doesn't tend to do this.) Aspect HD plays back using YUV for speed and native color accuracy, the standard Premiere uses RGB (that is why there is a difference -- and one of the many reasons Aspect HD is up to 5X faster.) You should use the suggested controls the calibrate your overlay (YUV) output of your video card. Note: Microsoft Mediaplayer also uses the overlay for video playback, so this is not just an Aspect HD issue.

David Newman
CTO, CineForm

Hi David,

On my Machine with ATI card I have the same issue. When I play from time line in Adobe PPro 2.0 the brightness goes up. I searched on your site but I couldn't find a FAQ handling this issue. I did then a search on this forum and ran into this old post. I have a ATI 9700 card in a XPpro SP2 system. Is there a specific setting to do, just like with the nVidia Cards?

Giroud Francois October 30th, 2006 03:40 AM

from pure logical point of view, you said that premiere is displaying wrongly the picture. Then you ask to correct the display when overlay.
This will make the picture the same in both display mode.
But isn't it then the wrong picture we look at (too much brightness.)?

K. Tessman October 30th, 2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
It is definitely the calibration of your video card (most likely a NVidia as ATI doesn't tend to do this.)

My ATI card certainly does this. This has come up a few times with a few people, both here and at the Adobe forums, without resolution.

That said, I'm not sure it's a Cineform issue. It happens only in Adobe apps (for me), i.e., Premiere and AE.

Marc Colemont October 31st, 2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. Tessman
My ATI card certainly does this. This has come up a few times with a few people, both here and at the Adobe forums, without resolution.

That said, I'm not sure it's a Cineform issue. It happens only in Adobe apps (for me), i.e., Premiere and AE.

I only see it by using the Cineform presets that the brightness goes up while playing from the time-line. With the standard DV presets I don't have the issue at all. I use the Cineform preset 1280x720p 25 frames.
I can't roll back from build 71, since I need the batch conversion of HDlink to work properly.

David Newman October 31st, 2006 09:04 AM

ATI cards are calibrated for the Overlay surface on. Give that a try.

Marc Colemont November 2nd, 2006 02:20 AM

I have re-installed the build 71 and now everything is fine again.
I also had suddenly that when playing from the timeline the time-line jumped strait to the last frame without playing anything. After removing and installing build 71 that problem was also fixed. I think it had to do that I installed build71 previously without clicking on NO of the two pop-up boxes during uninstall. I clicked Yes on keep the adobe presets and keep the codec for media-player.