is there a Connect HD version for Windows Server 2003? or some fix? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 17th, 2004, 03:55 AM   #1
Major Player

is there a Connect HD version for Windows Server 2003? or some fix?

I run Win2k3 in workstation mode, its super stable- similar to XP and fast as hell.

But I tried to install Connect HD and it says my OS isnt "adequate for connect HD"

What gives? Is there a fix for this?
Old December 17th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Connect HD uses a lot of newer DirectX/DirectShow system components that are not completely present Win2k based OSes. Sorry Windows XP is all that we currently support.
Old December 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #3
Major Player

I have directx9.0c installed...hmmm.
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #4
Major Player

what files do I need? I'll put em on my system. If you dont want to publish it, you can email me in confidence
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have found odd behaviors with the VMR (video renderer with overlay) under Win2k+, as a result we don't support it. We even strongly recommend XP sp2 over sp1 as the camera drivers are installed (sp1 is a pain for HDV support.) It is difficult for a small company to deliver all the features needed while supporting a wide range of platforms. We need to focus on good XP support.
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Re: is there a Connect HD version for Windows Server 2003? or some fix?

<<<-- Originally posted by John Gaspain : I run Win2k3 in workstation mode, its super stable- similar to XP and fast as hell.

But I tried to install Connect HD and it says my OS isnt "adequate for connect HD"

What gives? Is there a fix for this? -->>>

You are not going to have much luck with a lot of video editing software in Win2K3 Server (or games for that matter).

Even if you were able to get things to work, the performance would likely be worse than XP. There is more hardware abstraction in Win2K3 server than XP.

Having said that, you could theoretically look at the .inf files included with Cineform and basically install everything manually. The .inf basically tells you everything the install program does. I'm not encouraging this, but at least then you could satisfy your curiosity as to whether or not it will work at all. The installation files probably just check for Windows XP and if the OS is something else it gives you that error. Just don't email me if you "F" up your system :)

I will say again though, Win2K3 Server isn't going to be a good video editing platform, this won't be the last time you run into compatability problems.

As an aside, I'm surprised you spent $600 on W2K3Server just to use it as a workstation. That is sarcasm, by the way :) As an IT consultant in my other life, with a ton of clients who use Win2K3 Server, I have my share of W2K3Server "test machines" as well :)

HD Articles and Reviews at HDSource!
http://hdsource.highlydef.com
Ben Buie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #7
Major Player

LOL Ben. Yea, this server has been changed into a workstation according to http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/ ...Im just gonna switch back to XP pro, its just easier for me- I dont feel like hacking anything today :)
Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Win 2K3 is not Win 2K

I'm surprised by the answer of Cineform CTO. The codebase of Win2003 Server Edition is XP not Win2K.
I'm running Win 2003 Server as well with 4 Opteron and 4GB of ram, it is INCREDIBLY fast. I do have Direct X 9.0 installed and the Nvidia 5500 (not the ultimate 3D but it supports DX9). I was really serious about switching from mainconcept to cineform but if it doesn't work under Win 2003 I'm not planning to lose 2 of my 4 CPU and go with XP-Pro.
Mainconcept works perfectly under Win 2003, it imports from HDV compress; the whole work. I think that cineform technology is much faster and does serious real time though. It would be nice to see cineform supporting serious machines.

Gabriele Sartori
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Good point. The last time I used the server addition it was 2k based. Anything XP based should work, so it might therefore simply be an installer issue. I'll have to check if we have Server 2k3 to test the installer on.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Gabriele, what mobo and what opteron version are you using? Im curious about your setup, it sounds really cool
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #11
Regular Crew

To David Newman (and other)

"Good point. The last time I used the server addition it was 2k based. Anything XP based should work,"

Although for the information I have the Server 2003 has a XP codebase it may miss parts and I may be wrong in practical terms since I did some test and although I've a lot of stuff that weren't running on W2K now running, there are still a few things in the area that you describe that are not 100% XP like. For example windows media encoder 9.0 (the last one that I know about) installs and seems to work fine. WIndows media player 10.0 (that should decode what Media encoder encode) it's refusing the installation and ask for XP. It may very well be a simple ID check but I'm afraid that as you were saying there is more to it in the area of media playing/encoding. So, my personal apologies if I've been too quick to judge, I'm sure your engineers know what they are doing. It would be cool to try though.

Regards
Gabriele
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Opteron MOBO

John

I do use a Tyan 4P opteron board. I think they have only one, I don't recall the exact model but it is on their web site:
www.tyan.com
I do have 4 Opteron 846 and 4 GB of DDR 400 memory on 4 128 bit banks. I/O is on PCI-X, I do have a RAID of 10Krpm SCSI disks.
Video is on PCI (no AGP since it is a server board) I use Nvidia 5500 128 MB. This board with all the load uses a lot of Power so I've a 800W PWS. It is a beast, less noisy than what I thought but still hot. It is heating up my room pretty well.
If the codecs are well designed it uses all 4 CPUs and it is amazingly speed. Last night I was palying with Vegas video and the built in codec, for some reason a previous setting was using only one CPU but now if I encode at 18.3 Mb/sec 1280x720/30p it takes all 4 CPU and the encoding speed is better that 1:2. I can encode (at fix D/R) 1 hour of HD in about 1.45 hours.
I was putting a lot of hope on the Mainconcept plug-in for premiere but using it heavely I found tons of bug so I'm going back to Vegas and wait to see if Adobe gives the CIneform plug in or something. In any case the machine is freaking fast.

Gabriele
Gabriele Sartori is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase