CineForm NeoHD on Win7-64 with PPro CS4.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 8th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #1
Major Player

CineForm NeoHD on Win7-64 with PPro CS4.1

Hi there,

I am using Premiere Pro CS4.1 on Windows7 64-bit. I have installed the NeoHD demo (I disabled User Account Control before installing). I have also installed the AC-3 codec from SoftPedia.

Some things work, some things don't. Crucially, when I try to export video from Premiere Pro (using the Adobe Media Encoder) to Cineform, the audio in the Cineform file is not in sync with the video.

I'm shooting using the Panasonic GH1 in its 720 50p AVCHD mode and my timelines are all 720 50p AVCHD. I have tried tinkering with the Cineform encode settings but I can't get the audio in the Cineform file to sync correctly with the video.

Have I bumped into a legitimate bug? Or does Cineform not work on my platform? I'd love to be able to use Cineform for editing AVCHD because PPro's native AVCHD editing is a bit of a bumpy ride.

Many thanks,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Wrangler

Audio sync does seem to be a common complaint in CS4. It's good to hear about these kind of issues on the forum; however, Cineform don't officially support Win 7 yet so I don't think the term "legitimate bug" applies. Please do make sure to send Cineform a trouble ticket to assist their development and validation under this new OS.

Sorry to hear your ride has been bumpy, as I've had very good luck with native AVCHD on CS4, using both an XP3 Core 2 9550 laptop and Vista 64 quad core desktop. Of course, limiting factors for performance are processor and RAM, but it works fine. Even the laptop was free of audio lag so I don't know why some people have so much trouble with it -- whether it is internal to Adobe code or associated with Cineform code.

AFAIK, although Prospect is the product targeted specifically at PPro, NeoHD should still work ok with it. FWIW, although I have a ProspectHD 4.X license, I haven't installed or used it yet pending better stability (which seems to have been recently achieved) and the realtime engine. Cineform haven't updated ProspectHD in 4 weeks, so hoping for a major update soon that will actually entice me to make use of my investment.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. I'll contact Cineform directly, as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer View Post
Sorry to hear your ride has been bumpy, as I've had very good luck with native AVCHD on CS4, using both an XP3 Core 2 9550 laptop and Vista 64 quad core desktop.
Well, I should qualify my statement. AVCHD editing works and is fairly stable on my system (Core2 Quad Xeon 2.2Ghz with 4GB DDR2 SDRAM, 6-disk RAID1+0 array, Blackmagic HD Extreme). But the editing experience is a bit laggy and it judders when playing back cross-fades between 2 AVCHD clips (but I should declare that I'm used to editing DV or uncompressed 720p, both of which cut like butter on my system). Plus it really winds me up that Adobe have changed the pixel aspect ratio settings in PPro CS4 so that 720p video is no longer converted to SD without black bars. Ho hum.
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Major Player

The plot thickens... I've just submitted this support ticket to Cineform:

"Title: Rendering a Cineform AVI from Adobe Media Encoder produces distorted, out of sync audio

If I try rendering a Cineform AVI from Adobe Media Encoder using the "Add Premiere Pro sequence" menu option then the audio in the rendered Cineform AVI file is distorted and out of sync.

However, if I render the same sequence by initiating the render process within PPro (i.e. in Premiere Pro, select the sequence, then go File>Export>Media, then export as a Cineform AVI) then the file is absolutely fine.

In other words, the Cineform encoder doesn't seem to render the audio correctly if the render is initiated in Adobe Media Encoder but it renders fine if the render is initiated in PPro.

Some more information:
camera = Panasonic GH1, shooting AVCHD 720/50p 18Mbps
OS = Win7 64bit RC1
NLE Version = PPro CS4.1
Adobe Media Encoder version = 4.1.0.107"
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase