DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   New features VS making old ones work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/381762-new-features-vs-making-old-ones-work.html)

Kaspar Kallas September 10th, 2009 07:25 AM

New features VS making old ones work

Hi

Lately the reMaster app has gained "some" of the functionality that we (SI2K users) actually need form day to day work. But the app itself is widely undocumented, the controls are cryptic - uncountable amount of UI bugs.

So some rationalization would be in order: maybe the current UI makes sense to people using CF tools to convert SLR video files. But professional use for SI or RED we need something more sturdy (maybe fork an extra project that will cost me another grand or two but will get the work done).

If I am choosing CF as my working codec not as "get out as soon as possible"
1. We need a way to keep the metadata intact over shared file system.
It seems like a good plan to keep the in camera look saved in the file whilst having the post data in separate database it creates situation where you can have indefinite number of looks just depends on what computer you are previewing the footage. If you want to see DOP becoming pissed try CF metadata on SAN system. Mostly the look gets tuned in the process a lot so there could be a way to change that in the file rather than external database that is out of sync? Maybe if we have a .look file in the same folder and same name as file this look would override the database/camera, if the look is named master.look it will over ride the looks of all files in this subdir?
2. RT system on OSX, not that I hate windows or anything but many of us built our entire shops around osx for various reasons (specially small shops). I dont want SDI, hdmi etc monitoring a single computer screen would suffice for now but something that would not need to render a simple dissolve. The cfrewrap option is great but couldnt I use it without copying the entire footage, just marking the files would do? So maybe if I have fast enough computer one day I could use 1K proxy from SI footage and use ProZ or uncompressed 8bit timeline for editorial while keeping everything with me (no offline/online workflow as cineform has been promising for us so long - client for last 3 years now)
3. I would be willing to see some support for some other type of video editor VS the mainstream because with CF tools, modern cameras you really do not need SDI,RS422 fixed resolution codec solutions - I want to edit not keep building IT infrastructure to support this mess.

If somebody has a success story about metadata/firstlight on OSX system please shine on us all so we could be happy with this CREAT CODEC - I mean quality wise I yet to be surprised as much as I have been on CF.

I hope this will get some gears going in the right direction and we could actually use this product to take care of our entire pipeline, not just accusition.

Thank You
-Kaspar Kallas

Kaspar Kallas September 30th, 2009 03:14 PM

for nobody else these things are not a problem?

-Kaspar