Magic bullet working with HDV footage in Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic bullet working with HDV footage in Premiere?

I read a post from a Vegas user who said his Magic Bullet was working great with his HDV footage.

Any reports from the Premiere Pro front?
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Magic Bullet Editors works great in Premiere Pro - no probs.

Maybe I'm the user who you read about - I used it in Vegas too.

FYI, no difference in terms of which host you use in terms of way MB applies to HDV - results are identical.

Am starting to like PPro better though because of deinterlacing via Mainconcept Mpeg Pro HD (see their site) etc. and without very fast system, PPro seems to "stutter" along in editing more "smoothly"
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

see this review of that plug in

http://bg.videosystems.com/ar/video_mainconcept_mpeg_pro/
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:56 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm happy so far...

Interesting review - I don't know if anything has been addressed since we obtained the plug in last week (Feb. 2005) and the review was written in Sept. of last year... okay, just checked - latest version is 1.05 so maybe the bugs Steve has addressed are worked out - seems fine to me!

Test out the demo - you get watermark but the templates are nice - the real edge is "decent" frame accurate mpeg editing right in Premiere timeline... Fairly robust, even on my slow editing station...
Old February 9th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #5
Trustee

From that review of the Mainconcept HD plugin: "If you want to perform an immediate capture, the tape must be playing. Moreover, during capture, you'll see no picture nor hear any sound. "

These issues have definitely been fixed. There is also now no problem exporting to WM9 from the timeline. And some other intermittent capture problems I had with 1.04 (that aren't mentioned in the review) are also now resolved. I find the 1.05 plugin very solid and effective. (I can't comment about the in/out point - batch capture issue that the review mentions as I haven't been using batch capture).

It's a different philosophy from Cineform, however (i.e. native mpeg editing rather than using an intermediate codec) and there are definitely advantages to the Cineform approach.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #6
New Boot

When I attempt to use MB on HDV footage (within Premiere Pro) I get a message about the output being over 1024. I installed an update (1.5) and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Is there some trick to getting it to work on HDV resolution footage? Or is perhaps this just a limitation of the version that came with Video Collection?
Brad Bodily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7
Major Player

you need Mainconcept mpeg-pro HD

Brad, I think you at least need some plug to support HDV m2t in Prem Pro - Aspect HD is obviously one way to go - I got free upgrade to v.1.05...

good luck - visit www.mainconcept.com for more details... of course, visit cineform too!
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #8
New Boot

Hmm... maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to work fine now. I did install some Sentinel System Driver thing that came with the MB 1.5 patch since I last tried, but I have no idea what it's supposed to do. Everything seems to be working peachy now - maybe it was a reboot or something.
Brad Bodily is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase