DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Virus? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/39874-virus.html)

John Inman February 21st, 2005 09:32 AM

Virus?

My virus software sees HDLink.exe and Activate.exe as trojan horse viruses. I am using Grisoft AVG 7.0 virus software.

Anyone else seen this? What did you do?

Thad Huston February 22nd, 2005 12:31 PM

Virus?

John,

Does it give you some kind of error message, when you try to launch either of those EXE's? If so, can you start a trouble ticket and attach a screenshot of those errors?

About 6 months ago we had a user who had virus/spyware on his system that was disallowing the launch of several programs including Activate.exe. Unfortunately I never got a good chance to investigate it because once he discovered the virus, he formatted his drive ;-(

So if you are getting some kind or error, please email it to me or submit a trouble ticket.... and double check with the virus protetction people to ensure that the error is actually one that they are producing, so we can be sure it's not a fake error being given by a virus or spyware......

Thad H.
CineForm Support

John Inman February 22nd, 2005 05:48 PM

Thad,

I am sending you screen shots of the messages as well as a screen shot of my AGV virus vault identifying HDLink and Activate as viruses.

I uninstalled my virus software (Grisoft AVG 7.0) afterwhich HDlink and Activate were again accessible and operable.

I guess AVG software is not compatible with your software?

Thanks,

John

Thad Huston February 22nd, 2005 05:59 PM

I'll have a look at it. I have one more question. If you're using the free version, please let me know. Since they have a free version, I can test it out myself here and see if I get the same results. If I do, I might need to contact them to let them know that they're incorrectly identifiying our apps as viruses. Hopefully exceptions can be added to their databases......

Thad

John Inman February 22nd, 2005 06:01 PM

Thad,

I am using the single user pro version. I had to pay for it.

John

Thad Huston February 22nd, 2005 09:27 PM

John,

I just tried downloading and installing the Free version. It detected them as viruses and quarantined them. HOWEVER, I then downloaded the update using the auto updater and did a rescan and it did not consider them viruses anymore.

So it looks like they have an update that fixes the problem. Of course my testing was done with the free version, not the pro version. Please let me know if you see the same thing.....

John Inman February 23rd, 2005 04:47 PM

Thad,

I downloaded the latest version, installed it and updated it. I did a scan and it did not see your software as a virus. AHD is working as it should be and all is well.

Thanks for your help in solving this problem.

John

Steve Crisdale March 21st, 2005 01:34 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Inman : Thad,

I downloaded the latest version, installed it and updated it. I did a scan and it did not see your software as a virus. AHD is working as it should be and all is well.

Thanks for your help in solving this problem.

John -->>>

I haven't shot any clips for download until recently...and lo! and behold.....I got the AVG trojan message.

Unfortunately, unlike you.... I haven't been able to capture at all....

Using ConnectHD Full. Have tried everything I can think of, but capture just freezes after three error messages are given.

Such glitches are to be expected with new software. i just hope that as I paid for ConnectHD, it'll be working without said glitches fairly soon....

Thad Huston March 21st, 2005 12:37 PM

Steven,

Unfortunately, this is not a glitch that we have control over. When we released version 2.5, AVG saw those files as Trojan's. Within a few days an AVG update available to solve the problem.

Our files are not viruses, nor do they contain viruses when they come out of the installer. Other software companies who use the same software protection scheme have had similar problems with AVG as well. AVG is incorrectly identifying these files and I have no doubt that in a week or so you will run an AVG update and the problem will be resolved.

You'll notice that the only users complaining of this are those using AVG. This complaint is not being heard from Norton users, McAffee users, or anyone else.

Thad

Thad Huston March 21st, 2005 04:19 PM

Ok, I've done some more resarch on this. I still have to point the finger at AVG though.

AVG uses a scanning algorithm that is called a 'heuristic' virus scan. Essentially this means that their scan is 'smart' (arguable) and will guess about finding files that MAY be viruses due to their characteristics, but NOT because it specifically identifies it as a known virus.

This is cool and lame at the same time. It is cool because it protects you from viruses that AVG doesnt actually know about yet. It is lame, because it will provide false positives on a regular basis, as in this case.

Unfortunately this is out of our hands. This issue popped up several weeks ago..... but then the released an update that made the problem go away. Now, if you download their product fresh, it does not detect Activate.exe as a trojan, but as soon as you run the AVG update, it detects the problem.

I've tried to contact their support staff to ask them to try and get a permanent fix for this, but I think the story is that this will exist as long as AVG offers that 'smart' feature. If you google 'AVG' and then search within those results under 'Trojan' you'll see that many users are experiencing this same problem with other programs as well.

Thad

Steve Crisdale March 21st, 2005 11:17 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Thad Huston : Ok, I've done some more resarch on this. I still have to point the finger at AVG though.

AVG uses a scanning algorithm that is called a 'heuristic' virus scan. Essentially this means that their scan is 'smart' (arguable) and will guess about finding files that MAY be viruses due to their characteristics, but NOT because it specifically identifies it as a known virus.

This is cool and lame at the same time. It is cool because it protects you from viruses that AVG doesnt actually know about yet. It is lame, because it will provide false positives on a regular basis, as in this case.

Unfortunately this is out of our hands. This issue popped up several weeks ago..... but then the released an update that made the problem go away. Now, if you download their product fresh, it does not detect Activate.exe as a trojan, but as soon as you run the AVG update, it detects the problem.

I've tried to contact their support staff to ask them to try and get a permanent fix for this, but I think the story is that this will exist as long as AVG offers that 'smart' feature. If you google 'AVG' and then search within those results under 'Trojan' you'll see that many users are experiencing this same problem with other programs as well.

Thad -->>>

OK. I've un-installed AVG.
The capture utility of ConnectHD now semi-works, but only capturing to m2t. Any attempt to create a CFHD during capture or from the m2t results in a conversion graph error.

Most frustrating......... :(

David Newman March 22nd, 2005 10:31 AM

Steve,

That error can be addressed by an item in our knowledge base at http://www.cineform.com/support -- seach on "conversion error m2t".

It seems the installer has not registered the MPEG components used for conversion. This happens often enough that we are investigating a new installer.

David

Steve Crisdale March 22nd, 2005 05:26 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by David Newman : Steve,

That error can be addressed by an item in our knowledge base at http://www.cineform.com/support -- seach on "conversion error m2t".

It seems the installer has not registered the MPEG components used for conversion. This happens often enough that we are investigating a new installer.

David -->>>

Let's see.... I don't have an Athlon for a start, and the error happens exactly the same even with the latest ConnectHD version.

Any further ideas?

David Newman March 22nd, 2005 05:35 PM

Did you try the suggested fix? It also applies to non-Althon users.

Please file a trouble ticket on this (if you haven't already) so that support can directly help you.

Andrew J Hall April 25th, 2005 12:21 AM

I also have experienced the AVG finding Aspect files to be virus's problem but perhaps I have found a solution (other than just ignoring the warning - which does work for me). If you open the AVG control Center on the bottom right is a Properties button. Click it and you will see an 'exclude' tab at the top of the new menu. Open it and you can submit folders or files to be excluded from virus checking.

Also on the same menu you can disable heuristic checking entirely but that is probably a less desirable option.

Andrew