2.5b things at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

2.5b things

Hi David,

I'm testing a Z1 this weekend and downloaded the 2.5b trial to see how it looked in AspectHD.

A couple of things.

I had it seperate clips into different files. It ran past the end of the last file and I stopped it to discover that the clip was not captured. I guess I have to stop the capture before the end of the clip?

One of the nice things about the Z1 is the ability to get a lot of detail out of the whites - probably to 110 IRE. In looking at Premiere's scope it seems the AspectHD codec is clipping everything at 100 IRE. That's a lot of information to lose. Is there a workaround aside from keeping all levels under 100IRE? Does ProspectHD do the same thing?

Also I can't set the monitor window zoom level for pause scrubbing but it picks up the last setting from the previous project loaded. In may case 800% ( I was looking for mpeg artifacts). I had to load an SD project to zet the zoom level to fit and then reload the Aspect file.

David
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:22 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Re: 2.5b things

<<<-- Originally posted by David Cherniack : Hi David,
I had it seperate clips into different files. It ran past the end of the last file and I stopped it to discover that the clip was not captured. I guess I have to stop the capture before the end of the clip?-->>>

Shouldn't have to do that. If this is a repeatable bug please submit a trouble ticket.

<<<--One of the nice things about the Z1 is the ability to get a lot of detail out of the whites - probably to 110 IRE. In looking at Premiere's scope it seems the AspectHD codec is clipping everything at 100 IRE. That's a lot of information to lose. Is there a workaround aside from keeping all levels under 100IRE?-->>>

This is a issue of computer graphic RGB (0-255) than doesn't support super white. Aspect HD isn't clipping the data Premiere is, as CG-RGB is the default for Premiere.

<<<-- Does ProspectHD do the same thing?-->>>

No it doesn't as we introduced studio (or video systems) RGB into Prospect HD as it has deeper pixel formats (for 10-bit video.) Prospect HD preserves super black and white. I gather this is a feature request for Aspect HD. Try wishing hard on this, and you might be in luck.

<<<--Also I can't set the monitor window zoom level for pause scrubbing but it picks up the last setting from the previous project loaded. In may case 800% ( I was looking for mpeg artifacts). I had to load an SD project to zet the zoom level to fit and then reload the Aspect file.--->>>

That is an annoying Premiere bug (Adobe knows about it.) RT module like Aspect HD flags what operations it can handle, we indicate that we don't support that control, so Premiere leave in the last state (not the default state.)
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

>>Shouldn't have to do that. If this is a repeatable bug please submit a trouble ticket<<

It didn't repeat it on the next attempt - but I did hit stop before the end of the clip.

>>This is a issue of computer graphic RGB (0-255) than doesn't support super white. Aspect HD isn't clipping the data Premiere is, as CG-RGB is the default for Premiere. <<

I thought Ppro switched over to a YUV color space. Or is that just for SD. I really must study up on color space models - though I find it about as esoteric as String Theory.

>>No it doesn't as we introduced studio (or video systems) RGB into Prospect HD as it has deeper pixel formats (for 10-bit video.) Prospect HD preserves super black and white.<<

What do you mean by super black -10ire? I'm going to have to get a demo of ProspectHD before too long. Any dealers signed up in the Toronto area yet?
David Cherniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

>>>I thought Ppro switched over to a YUV color space. Or is that just for SD. I really must study up on color space models - though I find it about as esoteric as String Theory.

Color space theory is a fast way to get a headache. :) Yes Premiere Pro supports YUV, but only in dissolves, and the color corrector (maybe a couple of others.) So not many filters are YUV. Also (so I am told) the Premiere color correct also limits data to legal white and clips super white.

>>>What do you mean by super black -10ire?

If level 16 is black, levels 0-15 are super blacks. Some cameras put data there just as they do above 235 for whites.

>>>I'm going to have to get a demo of ProspectHD before too long. Any dealers signed up in the Toronto area yet?

Speak to Daryl Shail at Precision Camera, he is setting up to be a local Prospect HD dealer.
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

btw, what's the list on Prospect HD?
I couldn't find any info on pricing.

Thanks,
sean
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Today Prospect HD is sold only through integrators. Dual Opteron systems are around $15k with a Xena AJA card and about 10 hours of HD. Call for self integration options.
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

ahhh, that's the info I needed.

danke!
Old February 25th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, it is high-end for an HDV forum. Prospect HD systems come in handy for posting film or 10bit HD projects.
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

the price isn't bad, but you're commited to Premiere Pro as your cutting tool, though.
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #10
Major Player

David, for starters, thanks for all your continuing posts, (including to my previous post about timecode.) Anyhow, I've always thought cg-rgb was 0-255. Illegal levels being one of those things to be wary of when in Photoshop making video titles, (like Square vs. non-sqaure pixels). So what you are saying is that Premiere's RGB only supports 16-235 levels? And that YUV is implemented only for what, color shift processing issues? I thought one of Adobe's big things with PPro, was the conversion to YUV colorspace as well. Is there a way to change to full YUV in the settings, or to be able to at least capture the below 16 and above 235 info and edit with it? I'm wishing hard:-)
Eric
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Eric,

Hmmm, I don't think you got it. Color spaces issue are difficult to explain without pictures. No Premiere uses RGB 0 - 255, and that is the problem -- confusing huh? YUV can define color outside of 0-255 CG-RGB (yes, negative values have meaning.) All the weird stuff relates to super whites and blacks. All you need to know is an upcoming release (hopeful soon) will preserve all your supers, even when working in Premiere and After Effects. CFHD already handles supers, so the upgrade will be seamless.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase