DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Firmware based CFHD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/40387-firmware-based-cfhd.html)

John Jay March 2nd, 2005 09:13 AM

Firmware based CFHD?

David

I am wondering whether a firmware based CFHD via suitable DSP with direct record to HardDisc would be possible?

I envisage a beachbox-sized unit which bolts on to the underside of an FX/Z with a D1/D4 input connector. Inside the box is DSP circuitry/electronics containing the CFHD algorithms and a 2.5" HardDisc 100Gb+. The box would have the facility for swapping the HardDisc - eject and replace.

The idea would be to directly record HD component to HardDisc as CFHD 4:2:2

Do you think it possible?

David Newman March 2nd, 2005 10:21 AM

Yes I think it is possible although it would take quite a bit of work. We are doing embedded work using Pentium-Ms to do the compression. The interest is the 10-bit compression for this type for application.

John Jay March 2nd, 2005 10:40 AM

Well I hope you decide to move on this either yourselves or via sub-contracting the design and manufacture

Out of interest typically how many minutes of 10bit CFHD would fit on a removeable 2.5" 100Gb HardDisk?

David Newman March 2nd, 2005 10:58 AM

About 2 hours. :)

Wayne Morellini June 8th, 2005 12:22 AM

There is a lot of custom made direct to disk camera projects going on in the alternative imaging forums, so that would be a good place for your project. It requires a lot of work and money.

Serge Victorovich October 4th, 2005 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
Yes I think it is possible although it would take quite a bit of work. We are doing embedded work using Pentium-Ms to do the compression. The interest is the 10-bit compression for this type for application.

Hello, David.
Any news about "Firmware based CFHD"?

David Newman October 4th, 2005 09:02 AM

There are two active projects for on-step CineForm Intermediate compression; we expect one of them to be annouced at the end of this month.

Serge Victorovich October 4th, 2005 10:15 AM

Thank you, David. Have seen information about Ingest Box
and now understand your solution. My thoughts just based
on yours information from this discussion board.
Quote:

David Newman
June 13th, 2004, 10:52 AM
I believe it would possible to encode 1920x1080 camera feed in 10 bits (we haven't done 12 yet) at about 30 to 40 fps on a 3GHz P4, and 10 bit 1280x720 feed at about 70-85fps. I know there will be other overheads so these numbers could be high, but I still believe 1920x1080 @ 24p would be possible on a P4.
What is weight, size and power consumption of this box?

David Newman October 4th, 2005 11:14 AM

Yet to be announced.

David Newman October 31st, 2005 10:07 AM

The Wafian recorder has been annouced, I think the press release just went out. I still waiting for the story to hit regarding an on-set recording project and was about to be published. I'll give details when they happen.

David Taylor October 31st, 2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
The Wafian recorder has been annouced, I think the press release just went out. I still waiting for the story to hit regarding an on-set recording project and was about to be published. I'll give details when they happen.

Actually we made a decision to hold up the press release -- not for technical reasons but for coordination with some other near-term events. It'll go out in the next 1-2 weeks. In the mean time if anybody has any questions don't hesitate to drop us an email at prospecthdinfo@cineform.com.