Neoscene w/ 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Neoscene w/ 7D

So why would I buy Neoscene for video files with the 7D. What does Neoscene do that my NLE can't do that makes it worth the 100USD purchase?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Jason, its use to you may depend on what NLE you have. I took the raw video clip posted at dpreview.com and brought is into Edius 5. The supplied Edius avchd conversion software did not work with the 7d file. The conversion of the 7d file to canopus hq did not work plus the raw file would not play on the timeline. This is kind of surprising as Edius is known for playing most anything. It may have something to do with the 7d file structure. As an experiment I downloaded the trial version of Neo Scene. It worked great as it only doubled the orignal file size and the converted .avi file played realtime.

Last edited by Mark Williams; September 23rd, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Mark has some of the primary points, performance and compatibility. The 7D like the 5D mkII use a particular variation of H.264 that no other camera uses, limiting its compatibility within existing video tools. High bit-rate H.264 (40Mb/s is high for that format) is also slow for the tools that can use it natively. We also fix some awkward assumptions Canon made in the bit-stream, like like storing luma black at 0 range than the vastly more common 16. This caused many tools to clip the black levels -- QuickTime was rev'd to try and fix that. As the CineForm is 10-bit we can so a lossless fix for this transferring the 0-255 range of the source to a more standard 64-940 for 10-bit YUV -- basically making editing and color correction much easier.
Old September 24th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #4
Major Player

So basically, it converts the file it one that is easier to edit/apply color corrections to?

I also have an HV20 and would love to use Neo Scene to get the 24p out of the files on capture. Not being entirely too familiar with codecs in NLE's is whats stopping me so far.

I use Adobe AE and Adobe Premier CS3. I also have Sony Vegas 8.c. However, when I can I use Vegas Movie Studios (Easier to fool around with). The other NLE's are available due to work, Movie Studios was a personal purchase.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Pulldown removal is another big advantage. CineForm AVIs work in all those video tools.
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Trustee

David,

Does the actual NeoScene already support all the framerates of the 7D?
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes. 7D frame rates are complete compatible with Neo (all versions.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase