Cineform and Vegas (all versions) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:58 PM   #16
Regular Crew

export question

I understand, just one more question.When i export to m2t from vegas timeline, do i use default HDV 50i preset or do i have to change to progressive frame rate.
Mitja Popovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:34 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This I don't know the answer to. Sorry I'm not much of a Vegas user. In theory the project format should be indepent from the export format, meaning you can have a progressive timeline and export to an interlace format like M2T.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:31 PM   #18
Major Player

So David......

If I am recording in Cineframe30 mode I should be capturing as Progressive within HDLink?

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:52 PM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes. Progressive encoding for the CineFrame modes will give you the best quality and slighty more efficienct storage. Both HDLink and the Aspect HD Capture module within Premiere offer progressive vs interlace encoding. In Premiere there is a field called "Automatic" -- this very simply uses progressive for 720 high frames and interlaced for 1080 frames. CineFrame and 24/25/30p sources output 1080p frames, this is why we allow the overide.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:32 PM   #20
Major Player

Oops.....

Guess it will be a late night tonight.
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:45 PM   #21
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There is no issue encoding progressive frames with the interlaced option (so you don't need to stay up.) Something to remember for next time.
Old December 11th, 2005, 01:55 PM   #22
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

8/10bit Vegas & telecine

i have shot 16mm & super 8 film ..

the 16mm will be HD telecined to hard drive using cineform codec at 10bit 1920x1080 at 24fps( 24P no pull down ) ..
the super 8 will be HD telecined also to hard drive but using the black magic codec at 10bit 1920x1080 24fps ( i know i gain nothing beyond 1440X960 in super 8 )

the questions !!
i use Vegas 6 and Connect HD .. Vegas only operates at 8 bit so will vegas time line READ the cineform 10 bit files ?

will ConnectHD convert the Blackmagic 10 bit clips to cineform 10 bit ?

i might convert all the HD files to DV.avi to make editing easier then when i lock the edit i'll switch them out for the HD files ..
if i go back out to FILM i would like to render using 10bit = vegas doesn't do it .. so that leaves Premiere ? which cineform product would i need render in 10bit ? or would i just use premiere/after effects and use the 16bit applications in it ?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #23
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Vegas will read CineForm 10-bit AVIs, but only to 8-bit precision.

Connect HD will not convert 10-bit black magic files to CineForm AVI. For that you could was a Prospect HD Edit license and After Effects Pro.

To complete a 10-bit project you will need Prospect HD Edit running under Premiere Pro. more info in Prospect is here : http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHD.htm.

Why are you telecining the Super-8 to black magic, rather the CineForm Intermediate like you are with 16mm?
Old December 11th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #24
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

"Why are you telecining the Super-8 to black magic, rather the CineForm Intermediate like you are with 16mm?"

because Pixel harvest ( uses cineform) only does 35, S16,16 .
the place that does 35,S16,16 super 8, 8 only uses BM codec ... i'd prefer cineform but for super 8 i'll take anything above NTSC ..
Old December 11th, 2005, 03:06 PM   #25
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is a good reason. :)
Old December 16th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #26
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i see pixles harvest does 10bit 2k scans using cineform codec..

will all cineform products read 10 bit 2k cineform clips ?

assuming any cineform product can read a 2k cineform file then would AE 6.5pro be able to render out a QT 1920x1080 or 2k file to take over to avid system ?

i have HD connect so i assume i can render out a max 8 bit 1440x1080 cineform clip ( from a 2k clip) using combustion 4, vegas 6, after effects pro 6.5 and not a 8/10bit 1920x1080 or 2k cineform clip ?
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #27
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You can decode to 2K 8-bit with any CineForm decoder (including Connect HD.) For CineForm encoders at 1920x1080 10-bit your will need Prospect HD, for 2048 (i.e. 2k) you will need the Prospect 2K filmmaker add-on. For exports to QT you can use AE, yet for 10-bit you still need at least Prospect HD Edit.
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #28
New Boot

Help with Connect HD, Vegas and After Effects

I'm having a problem bringing files rendered in AE with the Cineform codec back into Vegas. When I open the files in Vegas, all I get is a red screen where the video is supposed to be. What's weird is that I can play the file fine in windows media player. I've tried changing different settings, different resolutions in AE with the same results. One other thing, the only way I can render files with the Cineform codec is by selecting vfw in the render queue ouput module and then selecting the "Cineform HD Codec V2.3" in the format. I don't have a seperate Cineform selection under the output module like some other people have mentioned here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Roy Maya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #29
CTO, CineForm Inc.

CineForm AVI export module for AE only ships with Aspect HD and Prospect HD, however you should be working fine with the VFW exporter. As for red frames, please submit a trouble trick so the support team can help you out.
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #30
Regular Crew

CFHD Video streams not recognizable by Vegas?

I downloaded the trial version of ConnectHD 2.1 to try with Vegas 6. After capturing (and auto converting), the .avi files were playable in WMP, but not in Vegas. Vegas shows the files as .avi's, but only the audio stream is playable.

I went back and tried to recapture and convert. This time I noticed that while it was converting (after the capture had finished), the window asking me to wait was titled "Converting with Aspect HD..." Isn't that codec for Premiere? Is that normal? Also, the log showed "Conveting with Moonlight/Elecard MPEG Components (MPG=0)...

I tried capturing again, only this time I captured just the .m2t file. Then I converted it to the cineform intermediate. Vegas 6 was able to use the .m2t file, but still shows the .avi file as "Video: Stream attributes could not be determined."

Also, I am using the firwire port on my Audigy card. Is that a problem? I have read mixed reviews about the Audigy. Thanks.

P4 2.53 GHz, 533 fsb
1 GB PC 1066 RDRAM
160 GB system disk
2*80 GB RAID0 capture disk
Radeon 9600XT AGP
SB Audigy

Last edited by BJ Elliott; February 19th, 2006 at 12:58 PM.
BJ Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase