HDLink -- various questions - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 25th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #196
CTO, CineForm Inc.

They all have subtly different looks. Try them, and choose the one you like best.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #197
Tourist

But am I correct, HDLink does the conversion from 60i to 24p when capturing?
Tony Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #198
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, that is one of the options. Normally we prefer to removal pulldown from sources that where originally 24p, but we can also convert standard 60i to 24p. Select pulldown removal and deinterlace to convert 60i to 24p.
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #199
Tourist

Thank you for the info, I've been playing around with all 3.

It seem as if HDlink can only convert to 1920 X1080 if the final output is a CF avi file?
Will it convert a m2t 1440 X1080 60i to 1920 X1080 24p ( or 23.976)? I can't seem to do that.

Another question: the reason I am asking this question is because I am avoid using the CF inter. codec because my project requires some slow motion action using time remapping and I have to render everytime I make the slightest change, is this normal?
In premiere project settings, this is not the case, I can view in real time as with dissolve transitions.
Tony Modena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #200
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You can play speed changes in real-time, but we haven't support time remapping, however you can use CTRL+Spacebar to play no real-time filters.

You can convert 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 using the resize option with HDLink (requires NEO HD or Prospect HD and above.)
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #201
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Feldman View Post
It will work but now I have to manually start playback on the camera then hit start in CF.

That approach seems to be the easiest way of preventing HDLink from crashing under Vista during Firewire capture. I also noticed another way, which for the life of me, I don't understand. If I choose to resize, but pick 1440 X 1080 (in essence, no resizing from HDV. Note: This is a licensed version of Neo HDV), then HDLink works fine for capturing with my Canon HV-20 with no workaround like manually starting the camcorder. Why inserting the CF resize filter into the media graph makes a difference, I have no idea. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Also, does HDLink ignore OS filter merit or does it use whatever MPEG2 decoder has the highest merit? I know that on my system the Nero decoder has a higher merit than the CF Elecard decoder.

I'm more curious than worried about this issue, since most of the time I can capture without a problem without having to use the "manually start playback" trick. I've also noticed that manually starting playback before starting HDLink also works, but that takes a bit of planning to get the capture start location correctly.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:09 PM   #202
New Boot

HDLink Crash - Mov to Avi Conversion

HDLink crashed when I try to convert some Cineform .mov files to .avi. When I select the files and click Start, I get "An unkown error occured while accessing...". I am using the latest build.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edgar
Edgar Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM   #203
CTO, CineForm Inc.

First guess: do you have Quicktime installed?
Please submit a trouble ticket, www.cineform.com/support
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:40 AM   #204
Major Player

Ditto here, David.

AVI to MOV is no prob, but we did get some crashes doing it the other direction. We tried converting some 1920x1080p MOV's from DigitalJuice (JumpBacks) and they crashed HDLink. Since they aren't CF compressed material, I didn't pay a lot of attention at the time.

When I tried converting CF'ed AVI > MOV rewraps back again ot AVI's, it was no prob, but the MOV> AVI "conversions" from DJ certainly were.

I'll try it again if I get a chance, to verify those results.

BTW, we have QT Pro installed.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM   #205
New Boot

I submitted a support ticket. Thanks David.

I do have quicktime installed and I got the same error on multiple computers.

Edgar
Edgar Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM   #206
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Stephen,

Converting non-CineForm MOV files it a little tricker, you needs components suitable playing those MOV files in Window Media Player (i.e. they must be playable in DirectShow.)
Old March 3rd, 2008, 12:11 PM   #207
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Stephen,

Converting non-CineForm MOV files it a little tricker, you needs components suitable playing those MOV files in Window Media Player (i.e. they must be playable in DirectShow.)
I figured there must be something there that requires a plugin recognized by Media Player. It really is not an issue for us, but I did want to hear what you had to say on it.

The impressive part to me, is that you've managed to work the CF codec and supporting software tools into having the cross-platform compatibility they do have! You've not only leveraged a great idea into something very useful, you've actually helped change the face of video production and even made possible new and BETTER hardware possibilities by doing that.
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #208
Regular Crew

hdlink stops,hangs

Hi,
I have a new problem. not sure what I did but for my hg10 if I put a canon software imported .m2ts file thru hdlink it stops after a few mb and sits forever. The same is happening if I just drag the file from the cameras hd to my hd in explorer and run it (.MTS).
It was working? not sure what's up. maybe something I installed afterwards? I uninstalled/installed my aspecthd 5.2.2 101 and the coreavc pro (1.65)that were playing nice together before. I think it might have happened after playing a overlay vid monitor full (nvidia fx3000)?? I disabled it but no change.

BTW when I take one of the files (either type) and place it in graphedit (before hdlink). it shows "nero dvd decoder" for the video and "ac3filter" for the audio going off to "default directsound device" (with a little clock icon in that filter box) when hdlink is running , the haali splitter icon is in the tray

thanks,
jack
Jack Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #209
CTO, CineForm Inc.

HDLink will only convert media that will play in DirectShow, so the failure is upstream somewhere. Look into any new tool that has introduced a different demux or AVC decoder.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #210
Major Player

Vista SP1

I'm just wondering what people's experience has been running HDLink under Vista SP1? With Vista x64 and my HV20, HDLink has not crashed at all for me, during capture under SP1, although I didn't have a lot problems with it previously.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase