HDLink -- various questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM   #31
Regular Crew

HDLink and Premiere failed to capture from sony FX1

Hi, I usually capture inside of premeire but today decided to try HDLink. I set my Prefs file to ouput to my video drive and tried capture 2 ways. One by pressing the play button and then the Start button, the other by just pressing the Start button. Both ways I received errors right away and the capture stopped.

Error: CreateAndAddFilter(CLSID_CFTSSink, L "CineForm TSSink",&m_tsSink) (0x80040154-Class not registered) in (C:\Brisco\Apps\Capture\RTCaptureConvert.cpp at 165)

Error: m_rtCapture.BuildGraph(m_rtConvert.m_aviName) (0x80040154-Class not registered) in (C:\Brisco\Apps\Capture\RTCaptureConvert.cpp at 165)

Wha???

I then started Prem Pro and catured thu that interface:
I received the error: Can't Activate Recorder. Try Resetting Camera.

So I turned it off and back on and got a box that said "Driver error".

uh-oh... Do I need to re-install cineform?
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #32
Major Player

HDlink Convert Issue in 3.x 4.x

I try to convert captured m2t footage from to AVI.
Upto 4 files at onces works. If I select more files to convert, after 4 files.
The software then seems to be locked, at least the 'start' button.
Does anybody else has this problem?
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I sure do! Had to disable all system services and startup tasks (via msconfig) in order for it to work. Cineform told me that they've always advised all "background tasks" be shut off before doing video editing. I say, okay, but HDLink conversion is NOT a real-time task and well-written software doesn't just stop.

I've submitted a half-dozen "Not Responding" dumps to Microsoft. I don't know if Cineform gets them and/or looks at them. I DO know that they insist there is nothing wrong!

Wayne
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Scene Detection not working with HDLink

Any reason why the scene detection does not work in HDLink when capturing .m2t files only? It works fine when you capture with the auto convert to avi set. But it will not work when capturing just the .m2t files.

Any thoughts?
Brian Vilevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Seems to be the problem in Vegas capture, and in Premiere Pro 2.0 also, even when not using Cineform capture utilities. I think it has to do with the hdv files themselves and the fact that each frame relies on the prior for some information.

HDSplit does scene detect, and it is a free application, but I have had drop outs on it that don't occur on PPro 2.0.
Old April 5th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #36
Trustee

It seems to be a problem in HDLink with Aspect HD also. It sometimes works, but usually not. The scene detect then works when converting to AVI.
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I have the answer!

I sent in a request to Cineform asking this question, the following is a response:

"Brian,

This is because the scene detection is actually a function of the our conversion process, therefore not functioning when only the .m2t is captured.

CineForm Support"

Hope this helps clear up any questions anyone may have.....
Brian Vilevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #38
Trustee

Well, that sucks. I like to capture entire tapes and then convert. That way I can archive the M2T files and work with the AVI files. Not only that, but I can share the M2T files easier than the CFHD AVI files.

But now to share unedited M2T files, with the original quality, I need to manually capture the scenes. Sigh. That is a serious step backward. Especially since it used to work.
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
Well, that sucks. I like to capture entire tapes and then convert. That way I can archive the M2T files and work with the AVI files. Not only that, but I can share the M2T files easier than the CFHD AVI files.

But now to share unedited M2T files, with the original quality, I need to manually capture the scenes. Sigh. That is a serious step backward. Especially since it used to work.
I seem to remember it working also and wish it would now for reasons like Steven's and some more or my own, including the inability of HDLink to convert a full 60 minutes of M2T without hanging (on my system only, according to Cineform).
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I'd like to revisit this issue. Cineform's response to my trouble ticket was that I was the only experiencing this problem and "Do not reopen this ticket"! I've asked Cineform several times and ways whether Microsoft forwards the dumps to them. They've never answered me, nor asked me to narrow down what system services might be causing the problem.

Even if it is just the two of us, which I doubt, I would hope for better support for such an expensive batch utility (HDLink).
Old April 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #41
Major Player

You can do this but you need to use two pieces of software:

Capture in HDVSplit, then convert with the Cineform conversion utility. I do it this way so as to archive the smaller m2t clips.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
You can do this but you need to use two pieces of software:

Capture in HDVSplit, then convert with the Cineform conversion utility. I do it this way so as to archive the smaller m2t clips.
Funny thing. I discovered HDSplit and downloaded it right after my post. Thanks for confirming that the combo works.
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #43
Trustee

I just tried HDVSplit. Works great on clips captured by HDLink. So why doesn't HDLink do that for us?

Sigh.

Are we just spoiled because Aspect HD is so good that we want it perfect?

Oh well, thanks for the workaround.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM   #44
Regular Crew

With scene detection selected during the batch conversion process, some systems will experience this. It's a little hard to trouble-shoot, as two of my test systems, running side-by-side with the same source clips, behave differently (one works fine either way, while the other will stop after one clip if scene split is enabled).

There are a whole slew of improvements/additions lined up for HDLink, so sit tight and we'll get it squared away.

EDIT: It appears that it IS clip-dependent (I realized that my test clips, although named the same, were different). If the clip ends on a scene break, it could be causing the problem. Regardless, we're looking into it.

Also remember that the cost involves the licensing of our codec as well, not just HDLink.

Last edited by Tim Bucklin; May 3rd, 2006 at 06:22 PM.
Tim Bucklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #45
Trustee

Yes, we know that. But we consider it all one product.

It is a catch 22 situation. If I capture with HDLink I get one huge file and the scene detection and converting works fine.

If I use a different program (HDVSplit) to make many M2T files and turn off scene detection, then I can only convert one at a time.

We just want to be able to scene detect upon capture, and then convert all of the ones we want to use at that time.

One of the problems with being as good as Cineform, is that the customers think it should be perfect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase