DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   24p from DVfilm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/43356-24p-dvfilm.html)

Art Guglielmo April 21st, 2005 03:40 PM

24p from DVfilm

I'm a bit confused. I converted a clip using DVfilm to 24p (23.97 or whatever) using cineforms codec, and then imported it back into my project. Dropping it on my timeline, it plays back fine, even though its a 30 FPS timeline. The properties of the clip show 23.97, but the timeline is 30. How does this happen, and shouldnt it have to be rendered?

BTW, deinterlaceing the FX-1 footage in After effetcs using Re:Vision plug ins really works well at getting rid of any of the "Interlacing" artifacts some people are seeing, without any realy hit in resolution.

David Newman April 21st, 2005 04:25 PM

The playback engine within Aspect HD (and 1.5.1) will match for the original timing (1 second of 24p still takes 1 second to play on a 30fps timeline.) The software is doing some frame duplication to keep the 24p in the correct timing. You probably want to use a 24p timeline. Within Aspect HD you can simply create a new preset that has a 24p/23.976 timebase.

Art Guglielmo April 21st, 2005 05:51 PM

Am I gaining anything by using DV Film? Its kinda tough to see if there is any more "filmlike" appearance added.

David Newman April 21st, 2005 06:01 PM

It depend what you started with. Converting 60i or 50i to 24p will change the look to progressive 24, but a filmlike look have many other factors that only color correction can attempt to help.

Art Guglielmo April 21st, 2005 06:15 PM

I have Magic bullet for editors (came with my DVX-100), so is a Cineform to DV film with Magic bullet gonna get me close to an HD DVX look ? (At reasonable render times)

David Newman April 21st, 2005 06:29 PM

I guess you need to explain your application. There can be many reasons are goal to convert to 24p, and it seems like you have already succeeded at that. If you want to go to film output, I would shoot 50i (and deinterlace) or Cineframe 25 (no deinterlace required) and convert to 24p through a 4% rate change on video and audio (with pitch correction.) Note: The next version of Aspect will do 25 to 24 conversion during capture (we had this showing at NAB.)

Luis Otero April 21st, 2005 06:58 PM

When would this be available?

Since I did not attend the NAB I do not have the information as to when do you expect to have this feature available in Aspect HD.

Thanks,

Luis

Art Guglielmo April 21st, 2005 07:11 PM

I guess I should clarify. I really dont need true "24p", I have a DVX for that. What I want is the way to get a filmlook (Motion and color) from an FX-1. The main thing is, I'm not quite sure if Magic Bullet Editors does anything to "simulate" the motion of film (blurring, etc) or is it just the color correction algorithms, then need DV Film or the like to simulate the motion characteristics?

This can all be in a 30 FPS timeline, as long as the motion and the look are there. I have tried the full blown Bullet, but renders are too long.

David Newman April 21st, 2005 07:35 PM

Luis,

We were showing this up-coming feature in the Sony booth. It will be in the next (free) update. Once the NAB dust settles I'll have a better idea when it will be ready, but for now my guess is a couple of months (working to make it sooner.)

Art,

For just a film look I would stick with Magic Bullet, only because I have heard it is good (I haven't used it.) Doing a 24p conversion then using a 30fps timeline is not a good idea, 24p will need pulldown applied for correct usage on a 30fps timeline. Or simply de-interlace to 30 (from 60i) if you are only after film look.