CineForm questions and problems with HDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 6th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #16
Major Player

HDV 720p to DV576i

What is best workflow for optimum results to make the conversion of a HDV Cineform 720P back to the standard SD 576i format?
I tried to load a CineformAVI into PremierePro 1.5.1 and saved as a DV 720x576 file. The result of the 5 sec test-file looks pretty good.
But maybe there are far better ways to do it?
From HD progressive to SD interleased in general...
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

First of the HD to SD scaling is better if you are using Aspect HD with Premiere Pro. Fortunately scaling from a progressive source is a lot easier to achieve high quality results. Where are you looking you final SD outputs to be, DVD, DV etc?
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi David, I'm about to have my JVC GY-HD100e and I would like to shoot in HDV 720P25 so my new projects are HD ready in case they need it afterwards. For now, the most projects will be delivered on a SD-DVD to play in a normal DVD player.

I'm playing around with the trial of AspectHD and the testfootage I took with the camera, to look for the best and quickest workflow for my current and future projects. I must say the results in HDtoSD are stunning. The quality is indeed better then the native SD shots with my PD-150.
I have to try with faster moving video to see how well the progressive to interleased is working.
Does anybody has some footage to show?
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #19
Major Player

HDV Plugin for Premiere 6.5

Are there currently any HDV plugin solutions that will work with 6.5? I prefer the interface and would like to continue into the HDV world.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We used to sell a Premiere 6.5 plugin for HDV, but everyone (else) seems to have moved on to Premiere Pro. Which is about to have it third major release (four if you count 1.5.1), that means you are now at least 4 versions behind. We currently support most HDV features in PPro 1.0 and 1.5, but we recommend 1.5.1 for the best support with Aspect HD. Once you see Premiere Pro 2.0, you might consider the upgrade.
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Once you see Premiere Pro 2.0, you might consider the upgrade.
Oh, you're such a tease, David. :) Better not let Adobe see this...I understand their non-disclosure police have been diligently trying to stifle discussion about PPro 2.0 before its release. But I for one have been quite eager to hear more details about it.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hdv->cineform->hdcam

I have to transfer an edited project made with cineform Aspect /premiere to HDCAM VTR. I would like to know if it is possible to add an AJA XENA to my system and to be able to play the edited avi through HD-SDI output;
or do I have to buy Prospect just to playback the file?

Matteo
Matteo Ricchetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #23
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Prospect HD Edit will support the AJA Xena card, but not Aspect HD. If you only have the one project you could export to uncompression and use another tool for the HD-SDI playback (you will need a fast RAID, and to upres to 1920x1080.) If this is going to be part of you regular workflow a Prospect HD Edit install is likely a good investment (a $1500 upgrade from your Aspect HD license.)
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:24 AM   #24
Trustee

HDV test clips

Anyone have or can't point to some sample raw HDV clips that I can download. (I have a T1, so bandwidth is not an issue).

I'm evaluating an HDV workflow using CFHD. I have to figure the budget numbers, and before I do I'd like to try editing/playing with some test clips.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Peter: I have a few seconds of native HDV footage at the following link you can use as you see fit. This is from a Sony FX1 camera at 1080i resolution.

http://videomem.com/HDV/encoding_tests/HDV-1080i.m2t

For comparisons of the FX1 run in both DV and HDV mode with resulting footage encoded to various output formats, see this link:

http://videomem.com/HDV/encoding_tests/comparison.htm
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM   #26
Trustee

Thanks Kevin.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #27
Major Player

Cineform HDV in SD PPro project?

Hi,

Just wondering if you can capture HDV using Cineform 4.0, and then bring that footage into a DV 720 x 480 (or SD/DV wide screen) project so you can do 'digital zooms' and stuff like that?

I'm assuming if you could do it in PPro, you could do it as well in AE?

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #28
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes that works fine.
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt
I'm assuming if you could do it in PPro, you could do it as well in AE?
I would recommend using After Effects for this rather than Premiere Pro. AE has a better scaling engine, whereas PPro's scaling looks too soft. Once you've written DV files from AE, they can be imported into PPro for editing.
Earl Thurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #30
Regular Crew

HDV Editing and Problems

Maybe, this is just happening to me...but, I really need some help:

Background info:
a) System specs: Intel Core Duo 2.0ghz, 1GB Ram, nVidia 7800 256mb.
b) Applications: Adobe Production Studio, Aspect HD, Vegas 7.0

Problems:
a) Capture: I captured footage in Premiere Pro via Aspect HD and everything seems to be working OK. However, if I play the file in Premiere Pro I get a grinding audio noise. But, if I play the file in either Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic, there are no audio issues at all. SO...is something wrong with Premiere Pro or ....?
b) Editing: As expected, my system is a little slow for editing HDV. That's fine. But, are there any reccomendations as to hard-drive configuration? I have plenty of external 7200rpm drives. Since, I am on the road and work at various studios, I need to be on the laptop. But, any and all optimization tips would be much appreciated.
c) Export: Export to WMV HD always gives me an error (see earlier thread). I have filed a support ticket and am currently in the process of receiving an answer.

So...basically I have a lot of issues at all three steps, while using Premiere Pro. But, when I use Vegas 7.0, all these problems are non-existant. Should I use Vegas 7 for HDV editing? If so, would Connect HD beneficial?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase