David - CF24 to 24P in next CONNECT HD? When? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 18th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

David - CF24 to 24P in next CONNECT HD? When?

Any idea what this feature will entail and when it's coming out?
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Very soon, hopefully next week as a full release or public beta. The CF24 to 24p conversion makes that capture mode somewhat useful. Both Aspect HD and Connect HD are being prepped for a new update -- both include special support for CF24 and CF25 modes (converting both to 24p.)
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response. Can't wait.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Will the conversion from CF24 and CF25 to 24p still result in a loss of resolution? Or has there been some technological breakthroughs to get around this?

-Geoff Murillo
Geoff Murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There is no additional loss in resolution in doing the conversion from CF24 or CF25 to 24p. What you are referring to is that the Cineframe modes do have a little less vertical resolution than the interlaced modes. Advanced deinterlacing tools are an option to maintain resolution (DVFilm for example), but for those who prefer the convenience of shooting in a "progressive" mode the new CineForm tools will make it even easier.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Hooray!!!

I'm curious... So far I've been quite happy with the performance of Premiere Pro 1.5.1 with just the plugin for editing in terms of performance. Will ConnectHD allow the following:

- Conversion of m2t/mpg CF24 files to 24p Cineform files.
- The editing of 24p Cineform files in Premiere Pro 1.5.1 (without acceleration)
- The editing of 24p, 30p, and 60i Cineform files in After Effects 6.5 (no plugins required... just letting AE recognize and work with them)
- The cutting/pasting of the 24p Cineform PPro 1.5.1 projects into After Effects

If even the first 3, you will have another customer almost immediately!

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Unfortunately Premiere Pro 1.5.1 does support 24p in the HDV editing modes -- it would have been good if it did because then Connect HD would do as you describe. So that will be the sticking point. Aspect HD can run at any of the common frame rates so I hope you can become an Aspect HD customer. Version 3.1 supports all the features you have listed.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Hey David

Are you sure I could hack PPro 1.5.1 to do this? If ConnectHD allows full *.avi support for the Cineform codec (as would be required for the AE interaction...?) could I not make a *.avi project (custom as opposed to the preset DV/HDV ones) with 24p and render to the Cineform codec/uncompressed?

Of course, I'll check the demos when the come out to make sure I get the right thing... and dang! Aspect 3.1 will be an awesome product. I've found your company's solutions (even the 1.5.1 plugin) most impressive! Kudos.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The problem is the HDV mode won't let you create a 24p timeline, only 25 and 29.97 are support in the default 1.5.1 install -- I just tried it.

Thanks for the complements -- we hope to continue on the cutting edge of HDV, HD and Film production tools.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Beta Aspect HD v3.1 now available.

Premiere users can now try the new CF24/25 to 24p conversion. This is a beta so there are a couple more items to fix, yet the feature set and experience is already better than AHD 3.0. The verison of Connect HD will be available soon also.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase