DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Recompression question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/45343-recompression-question.html)

Jaromir Pesr May 28th, 2005 05:38 PM

Recompression question

Hi,
What is the difference between Cineform HD Export and Cineform HDV AVI in PPro Export movie general settings. Does any of them provide no recompression? I mean simple bit to bit copy when no effects/transitions or other manipulation applied. Just raw edits. I tried both but "render" time seems to be much longer then just copying the file... For comparison if I do the same with DV file, export is several times faster than realtime.

David Newman May 28th, 2005 06:11 PM

There are two "compilers" (Premiere terminlogy) as one comes with Premiere Pro 1.5.1 (the HDV version) and the other is added by Aspect HD. You don't want to use the older HDV version as it doesn't support the new vsRGB and a couple of other enhancements. Unfortunately both do recompress, even when they don't need to. That is "on the list" of features, to make cuts only export much faster.

Jaromir Pesr May 28th, 2005 06:31 PM

Thanks David,
which one is native Aspect HD? I suppose the HDV AVI - one with more options. And can I understand your lines that no-recopression will be solved in further releases? It sounds great.
And finally: Is there any choice to install decoder only "codec" to machines for network rendering purposes? We are using about 20 render only PCs running After Effects engine and I'm not sure how to let them decode a Cineform right now.

David Newman May 29th, 2005 10:20 AM

"CineForm HD Export" is the Aspect HD version. You don't really need to pick it as it is the default for projects created with any of the Aspect HD presets.

For render farms you can use the VfW decoder for free -- we only license the encoding. So find these two files from your Aspect HD system CFHD.dll and CFHD.inf (located in c:\WINDOWS\system32.) Copy them on to each of your render nodes. Right click on the .inf file and select "Install."

Jaromir Pesr July 1st, 2005 06:34 PM

David,
recently I've followed your advice to use a Wfw decoder on machines without license and it works perfectly. But now I realised that cineform logo appears over the image in After FX again. I've probably got AHD tryout installed on several of them before (due of testing) and I tried to reinstall the codec there without succes. I've unistalled the AHD software a long time ago of course. Did I make anything wrong?

David Newman July 1st, 2005 06:40 PM

Does the logo look like a watermark or is it a solid red and white image with a black border?

Jaromir Pesr July 1st, 2005 07:11 PM

It is a watermark. Horizontal and vertical lines crossing at lower left corner with cineform letters at very corner..

David Newman July 1st, 2005 07:39 PM

OK, next week will have to determine which module doesn't have that licensing behavior. You should be able to decode without a license.

Jaromir Pesr July 4th, 2005 03:10 PM

Ok, I'm listening, David..

Jaromir Pesr July 7th, 2005 09:08 PM

David,
didn't you forget of me? I know it is not your duty to answer but usually this is the fastest way to get answers for the issues... I still did not resolve this problem.

David Newman July 7th, 2005 09:55 PM

In the next release of Aspect HD and Connect HD the expiring decoder license issue is fixed. This way you can decode the latest CineForm files on any PC simply by installing either of these trial packages (no purchase necessary.) I hoping the new Aspect HD (v3.2) will be available within the week.

So I didn't forget to address the problem, I only forgot to tell you about it. :)

Jaromir Pesr July 8th, 2005 12:59 AM

Ok, great, thank you very much... I'm looking forward it...