Some questions about Aspect HD - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #91
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD 4.1 - public beta

Last week there was an invite only beta release for adding HXV200 support (which seems to be working well -- more feedback is welcome), now this is beta release for everyone else. I expect no majors changes between now and its official release (other than the manual is being updated.)

So if you want the latest and a last chance to help squash a bug (link removed.)

This version also others 15 days additional trial time for those who have tried Aspect HD before.

Features and Fixes:
• HDLink has been updated to support MXF files from the HVX200.
• HDLink now supports scaling of MXF or M2T files to various standard HD resolutions.
• HDLink now supports deinterlacing of 1080i sources in a progressive output.
• Pulldown removal and deinterlace filters can be combined to generate 24p from 60i sources.
• HDLink can now convert to a separate output directory.
• Export to Frame now better color handling under PPro 2.0.
• Timecode capture within Premiere Pro now working again (bug in 4.0.3.)
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #92
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD 4.1 has been released now at www.cineform.com.
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #93
Inner Circle

installed (several time) but just a question about the dual premiere 1.5/2.0
lauching prem. 2 shows cineform splash screen with 4.1
launching prem.1.5 shows cineform splash screen with 4.0
how do i know if premiere 1.5 is using the good version or how can i upgrade both premiere ?
(dont tell me to reformat Hard disk....)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #94
Major Player

Text for HD and SD w/ PPro1.5 & Aspect HD

Hi everybody,

I have a workflow issue and I'm curious if others have had similar issues and discovered elegant solutions.

I have an HDV project edited using PPro1.5 and AspectHD. I want my final product available in both an HD format (say, WMV files) and SD DVD.

When I create text and titles in the HD PPro project and create the HD WMV file, they look fine. However, then when I export to a 720x480 CineformAVI for the DVD, the text is aliased/subsampled and ends up looking excessively blocky sometimes. If I export the edited video without titles to a 720x480 CineformAVI and then recreate the titles natively in the 720x480 project, they look much better even though they are the same size resulting in the 720x480 AVI.

Is there an elegant way to create the text/titles once and then scale them appropriately for both projects so that they look clean in both, without having to go through and manually change each and every title file?

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #95
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Go into the plug-ins folder with PPro2.0 and find the CineForm directory, copy that into the same place in 1.5.1. Now you have 4.1 in both.
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #96
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Bill,

Could you please send me is a frame grab of each example? Maybe there is something we can do.

David.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #97
Major Player

For what it's worth, I think that this problem is another case of using the wrong field first. I was using native 24p footage in a 29.97 project. When I tried to export using the Lower Field First, it ended up flipped, whereas when I exported using Upper Field First everything looked OK. This seemed most visible in the text, so I thought it was a text only issue, but upon closer inspection I see the problem also in the video footage.

Sorry for the thread...

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #98
New Boot

Is the deinterlace algorithm in HD-Link intelligent, or does it just discard every other field?
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #99
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is more intelligent than that, yielding a higher vertical resolution.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:05 PM   #100
New Boot

David, You guys ROCK! I just installed 4.1. The deinterlacing and conversion from 1080i to 720p in HD-Link works great. Incredibly fast too.

Thanks for always making a great product better.

Last edited by Mick Guzauski; May 18th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #101
Major Player

Cineform Aspect HD Question.

I shot on miniDV using 2 cams. (1 HVX-200, 1 JVC GR-DVL520U...not real hi-quality, I know,
but the only other storage media I have for the HVX is 2 4GB cards - WAY too little for
what I needed).

File Props for all footage =
Type: AVI Movie;
Image Size: 720 x 480
Pixel Depth: 32
Frame Rate: 29.97

Am editing with Adobe Prod Suite, and have Aspect HD installed.
Some shots I need the Zoom effect, (not the PPro transition), to cover some camera flubs.
While PPRO seems to NOT have Zoom as an effect, the Aspect HD Link has a
"Pan, Zoom, Rotate" effect. I've used that, and got what I needed, but I lose sharpness in the resulting "Zoomed" clip.

I need to retain sharpenss, and I did NOt capture using Aspect HD. Should I have used Aspect for capture? Can I? Would it help retain sharpness?

Addendum:
I just realized this may not be entirely clear. In simple terms, will/can Aspect HD do anything to help if I did NOT shoot in HD?
All input appreciated.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.

Last edited by Denis Danatzko; August 27th, 2006 at 11:42 AM.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:59 PM   #102
New Boot

Unfortunately...

Aspect HD won't help. Whatever you do, you will always lose some sharpness when zooming-in on an image during editing.

By the way, Premiere CAN zoom: go to "distort" in the video effects bin and you will have a way of scaling your images.

If you have "InstantHD" from Red Giant, you could upconvert your images to HD and then zoom them out. It could produce better results.
Jocelyn Deguise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 05:36 PM   #103
Major Player

THANKS for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn Deguise
Aspect HD won't help. Whatever you do, you will always lose some sharpness when zooming-in on an image during editing.
I expected to lose some sharpness, but was hoping Aspect HD might somehow save me from myself.

Quote:
By the way, Premiere CAN zoom: go to "distort" in the video effects bin and you will have a way of scaling your images.
Thanks for the tip. I'll play with that a bit. Wiley's "Bible" mentions a "Magnify" effect. Haven't checked it out yet, but I presume that's what you mean.

Quote:
If you have "InstantHD" from Red Giant, you could upconvert your images to HD and then zoom them out. It could produce better results.
Don't have that, and know little about it. Will have to read more...and find a price.

THANKS again.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #104
Regular Crew

what size does aspect hd capture at?

1920x1080 or 1440x1080? leaving settings at default cept ticking on deinterlace. I thought it did it at 1440x1080 auto but I see a setting in the resize video to change it to 1440x1080.
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #105
CTO, CineForm Inc.

All 1080 HDV is 1440x1080. Aspect HD without a resize is 1440x1080. The resize option is to upconvert 720p or for P2 users to upconvert 1280x1080.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase