DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Some other editing software option for MAC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/465475-some-other-editing-software-option-mac.html)

Kaspar Kallas October 11th, 2009 07:46 AM

Some other editing software option for MAC

Hi

Maybe there is an option to edit native cineform in some other package other than FCP?

Thank You
-Kaspar

Mike Harvey October 13th, 2009 02:29 PM

Adobe CS4 (Premiere) comes in a Mac flavor...

Kaspar Kallas October 13th, 2009 02:43 PM

.... not for cineform - not even RT playback at least on RAW and RGB footage.

-Kaspar

Brian Parker October 14th, 2009 10:19 PM

Echoing Kaspar, no kind of playback whatsoever on mac PPro. IT plays jerkier than avchd footage.

Tomaso Perrone October 15th, 2009 07:50 AM

Amazing the Adobe is willing to let the (growing) Mac market whither away. I sometimes need to edit on a PC so Cineform was very attractive for me. Unfortunately - when I go back to the mac - PPro is not very friendly for real-time playback. Sadly I don't think this is a priority for the folks at Cineform - perhaps understandably so.

Brian Parker October 16th, 2009 01:34 AM

I was foolish enough to buy cineform for mac PPro cs3 without reading the caveat on their website first, that it didnt work. Then I paid $1500 to upgrade to cs4 on the promise that it would be supported by cineform. That was 10 months ago. Almost 18 months since my orignial purchase.

They are a small team doing a lot of work, and working with the barriers thrown in the way by adobe, so it's hard to get angry. Especially considering I should have researched the purchase a bit better.

I do find the lack of a roadmap frustrating though. Taking for example another company, HP, with their media server: HP said back at the end of spring that they would update the software of their older mediasmart servers mac compatible by fall. Recently, they said that they are almost done, but more testing is needed and it might be the end of the year.
Delays are not nice, but it's easier to be patient when people are being transparent.

David Taylor October 19th, 2009 05:36 PM

As many of our customers are aware it took us a long time to get the importer/exporter for CS4 working properly on Windows. Those are now (and have been) working well for a while, so we're working on our RT engine for CS4 (Windows).

There is some light for CS4 Mac users too. Both the Windows importer/exporter and RT engine are written in a cross-platform manner so we should be able to leverage most of the work on Mac. We should have a Mac release that finally supports CS4 before the end of the year.

Tomaso Perrone October 21st, 2009 07:20 PM

David... Thanks for the update - I'm truly hopeful this comes to fruition. It looks like it may be a good Christmas... New Neoscene for Mac - perhaps new firmware for my 5D2