Some other editing software option for MAC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 11th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Some other editing software option for MAC

Hi

Maybe there is an option to edit native cineform in some other package other than FCP?

Thank You
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Adobe CS4 (Premiere) comes in a Mac flavor...
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

.... not for cineform - not even RT playback at least on RAW and RGB footage.

-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Echoing Kaspar, no kind of playback whatsoever on mac PPro. IT plays jerkier than avchd footage.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Amazing the Adobe is willing to let the (growing) Mac market whither away. I sometimes need to edit on a PC so Cineform was very attractive for me. Unfortunately - when I go back to the mac - PPro is not very friendly for real-time playback. Sadly I don't think this is a priority for the folks at Cineform - perhaps understandably so.
Tomaso Perrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I was foolish enough to buy cineform for mac PPro cs3 without reading the caveat on their website first, that it didnt work. Then I paid $1500 to upgrade to cs4 on the promise that it would be supported by cineform. That was 10 months ago. Almost 18 months since my orignial purchase.

They are a small team doing a lot of work, and working with the barriers thrown in the way by adobe, so it's hard to get angry. Especially considering I should have researched the purchase a bit better.

I do find the lack of a roadmap frustrating though. Taking for example another company, HP, with their media server: HP said back at the end of spring that they would update the software of their older mediasmart servers mac compatible by fall. Recently, they said that they are almost done, but more testing is needed and it might be the end of the year.
Delays are not nice, but it's easier to be patient when people are being transparent.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Major Player

As many of our customers are aware it took us a long time to get the importer/exporter for CS4 working properly on Windows. Those are now (and have been) working well for a while, so we're working on our RT engine for CS4 (Windows).

There is some light for CS4 Mac users too. Both the Windows importer/exporter and RT engine are written in a cross-platform manner so we should be able to leverage most of the work on Mac. We should have a Mac release that finally supports CS4 before the end of the year.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

David... Thanks for the update - I'm truly hopeful this comes to fruition. It looks like it may be a good Christmas... New Neoscene for Mac - perhaps new firmware for my 5D2
Tomaso Perrone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase