Cineform - Metafuze - Avid DNxHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Cineform - Metafuze - Avid DNxHD

Hello,

I've just started working with DNxHD files on a new project using After Effects. I've got Vegas Pro 8 where I use Cineform.

Following the work flow listed by Cineform & Avid I downloaded MetaFuze and Neoplayer. With Neoplayer I can use Windows Media Player to view Cineform exports from Vegas. It works OK.

I can drop DNxHd files from After Effects on Vegas timelines and edit away. I then export the files out to Cineform OK.

I want to be able to go back and forth between Vegas/Cineform and After Effects/DNxHD for any editing or composting issues if needed.

My problem is when I take a Cineform file into Metafuze and transcode out to a DNxHD format, I only get *.mxf files. I've read that Metafuze uses the Neoplayer codec and it seems to work. I was expecting a DNxHD file ready for After Effects.

Looking to see if my chain of thought and process is correct and suggestions on ways of getting this to work.

Thx,

David
David C. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm surprised you got anything useful out of Metafuze at all. I abandoned it when I realized I couldn't get a .mov DNxHD file out of it. Basically, it seems to only prepare files for Avid systems. Pointless for me.

Now that Vegas 9 can import and export DPX and EXR files, as well as DNxHD, I can't see why you'd need Metafuze in the mix.
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #3
New Boot

Cineform - Metafuze - Avid DNxHD

Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I had a struggle with the software for about 2 hours and gave up. Not counting downloading the software and the time spent fumbling over the documentation. I left a message at the Avid Metafuze forum. I'll see if there is some magic button to make this work.

I'm not looking at Vegas Pro 9 as of yet. Can't justify the cost which is why I'm looking for a economical work around. Or I'll move on.

It may be pushing it but I have yet to try converting the .mxf file to a uncompressed avi and then back to After Effects and convert to DNxHD. Seems like a long road to take. I'll have to try just to say I did. I would think the quality would hold up.

David
David C. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm a bit confused what you're after here.

What are your valid file types in After Effects? What file format do you want to take to AE? If it's DNxHD, then why not just stay in DNxHD the entire time? That's what I do. It doesn't move great on the Vegas timeline, but if I am worried about that, I cut proxies, or pre-render. I'd assume you only need to move into After Effects after cutting anyway, so the timing of the movie is complete by that point.

If you've got to take a file-based format into AE, then you can export PNGs out of Vegas. Not perfect, but unless you are cutting for Hollywood, it shouldn't be a problem.

For me, the upgrade to Vegas 9 brought so much to the table, it seemed like a steal. The ability to drag RED onto the timeline, and import and export DPX completely changed the game.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase