AVCHD editing in CS4, transcoding & organizing help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 25th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

AVCHD editing in CS4, transcoding & organizing help!

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to form an editing strategy for a project im shooting on my HMC150. I'm not entirely sure what the constraints of working with AVCHD (.Mts files) are for CS4 4.1, could some one please fill me in? Ive read some posts that say you MUST retain the original file structure from the card, and others that say just copying over the STREAM folder with the clips inside will be fine.

In my case, this is a long term project, so being able to rename each clip and organize them in their own folders would be a huge advantage. But I will also probably be transcoding, using cineform prospect HD i hope, so do i need to retain the whole AVCHD file structure and names for this to work? Because if not i would really love to just copy over the STREAM folder from now on, delete the clips i know i will not need, then organize and rename the rest of the .Mts files before transcoding them. Is this a sound workflow?

I have heard that the other data outside of the STREAM folder is very useful for playback and thumbnails and finishing to blue ray, but i will be finishing to DVD and the web, and im not worried about playing the clips back on the camera again, so i dont see the need for anything but the STREAM folder, unless leaving the whole structure out will hurt my process somehow that i am not seeing? Please let me know as im very new to this, Thanks so much!

- Shawn
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

I own the HMC-150 and use Prospect HD. I just use the stream folder and copy them over to my computer and convert them using HDlink. Works extremely well and is also very quick.
I never used the rest of the data because I see no need to watch the videos again on the camera once I am done with a shoot.

Good luck!

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Trustee

I think the comment about blu-ray applies only if you plan to burn a disk of the original unedited files.

Since you are (I assume) planning to do some editing in Premiere, the old structure on the card wont be helpful at the authoring stage - so yeah just copy the STREAM directory.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If i just copy the STREAM folder, I can then feel free to delete clips i know i wont use and rename clips right? this will not hurt their playback?
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Shawn
I often will convert to CF with HDLink directly from the camera card- no import of original files, metadata, etc. Or, you can import the stream from the camera card (maybe for archival purposes) and then convert those files to CF. You can rename, delete, move to various different folders, drives, etc.
I edit the CFHD.avi & output to whatever delivery format I need, Blu Ray included.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase