Can't convert QT MOV files to CFHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Can't convert QT MOV files to CFHD

I can no longer convert plain vanilla MOV files to CFHD after upgrading to Windows 7 x64 from Vista x64. MOV files from the Canon 5d2 still convert fine in HDLink, but even the file sample.mov that is included with QT for Windows doesn't work. Can anyone else convert sample.mov to CFHD, using HDLink under Windows 7 x64?

Now here's the part that I don't understand. In Vista x64, any MOV file would always create a media graph in graphedit.exe, because graphedit was using the MediaLooks QT File reader that comes with Prospect HD (You could see the MediaLooks watermark). That no longer works either and graphedit now crashes when trying to render any MOV file.

Is this some Windows 7 conflict? Because Win 7 was rumored to have a version of WMP that would play MOV files natively and in fact, it does.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Jay,
I've been able to reproduce it in Win7 64-bit too. It may be that MediaLooks needs an update, so we'll check into that.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. it's no big deal, as I don't convert that type of files that often. I neglected to mention that I downloaded the newest build of the Media Looks QT DirectShow Filter. Unregistering the Prospect HD version (1.7.0.9) and registering the new one (1.7.0.22) gave the same error. The MS DTV-DVD Video decoder in Win 7 will decode the following codecs (if its merit is high enough):

MPEG2, MPEG1, H264, AVC1 and X264.

This allows graphedit to render MOV (and other) files with those FOURCC codes. That doesn't help HDLink, though, as you must have including code that checks for the various types of MOV files (5d2, 7D and others), so with the Media Looks QT DS Filter unregistered, it can't read plain MOV files.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase