NeoScene hangs on MOV files from VholdR ContourHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 27th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #1
New Boot

NeoScene hangs on MOV files from VholdR ContourHD

I just got a VHoldR ContourHD POV camera and its MOV files playback fine with VLC and MediaPlayer, but if I want to run them through NeoScene to produce CFHD AVIs the converter will either hang, crash, or produce AVIs with a horrible squealing audio, although the video conversion seems to be okay.

It does seem like there could be a technical issue in the header of the MOV file, but so far this is unacknowledged by VHoldR. The MOV should contain h264 video and AAC audio. I was hoping CineForm would like to take a look at one of the files and at least see why it's hanging or crashing? I can provide a small sample file. It's the smallest source video I have on hand, not particularly good watching but it should demonstrate the problem:

http://www.baconbomb.com/files/FILE0004.MOV

I'm using NeoScene v1.3.6
WindowsXP SP3
Intel C2D E6600
4GB Ram
Earl Laamanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #2
New Boot

{{
MOV files playback fine with VLC and MediaPlayer, but if I want to run them through NeoScene to produce CFHD AVIs the converter will either hang, crash, or produce AVIs with a horrible squealing audio
}}

http://www.baconbomb.com/files/FILE0004.MOV

So is this a Cineform bug? I'd really prefer to work with CF AVIs because I use virtualDub for some important tasks, but this problem is preventing me from getting my data into CFHD.
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NeoScene was only designed for HDV, AVCHD, and Canon VDLSRs (AVC-HD wrapped in a MOV) so I need to check if VHoldR ContourHD fits.
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

NeoScene doen't handle the audio correctly. However, the latest beta release for Neo HD and above does -- use a Neo HD trial in the meantime and we will see if NeoScene can be patched.
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for taking a look David, I'll take a look at a NeoHD trial and I'll keep an eye out for any NeoScene updates.
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Another contourhd user

Borrowed a friend's and now im trying to convert using Neoscene.
In the same boat as you Earl.

Lets hope Cineform can get it fix!
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #7
New Boot

Errors trying to convert a file using trial of NeoScene or NeoHD

I was trying to check NeoHD trial or the new beta NeoScene if this bug is fixed but I am getting this error instead (attached). I thought it could be an install conflict but I'm not sure where to clean up dlls/registry to try a clean trial reinstall.

I do own a license of scene for my home PC but I am travelling now and using a work laptop so I can only use trials right now anyway. Neither seems to be expired, at least there is no such message.
Attached Thumbnails
NeoScene hangs on MOV files from VholdR ContourHD-scene_error.png  

Last edited by Earl Laamanen; January 7th, 2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Attachments
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Try to change extension *.mov to *.mp4
Also you can repack container mov to mp4 (w/o recompression) with Avidemux, MP4Cam2AVI, AiptekUtility.
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #9
New Boot

The NeoScene 1.5 beta shows the same problem as 1.3.2, audio corruption in output file.
The NeoHD beta doesn't convert any videos - faulty install or issue with the beta release (same results on multiple computers!). My last post in this thread shows the error I get.

With no way to convert my ContourHD videos to CFHD for now, looks like I'll have to go back to CoreAVC for reasonable real-time editing of source files and check back in later if things change. I think the CountourHD & Neo Scene are a pretty good match as far as target user base, so I hope you find it worthwhile to look into the problem.

Edit: Just saw the official NeoHD 4.2 release -- that version's HDLink works without the errors mentioned and it converts the sample ContourHD file without problems, as David mentioned before. At least now I can see for myself that it works.
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thanks for the report that Neo HD v4.2 is working fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase