DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   HD Link freezes when converting AVCHD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/466654-hd-link-freezes-when-converting-avchd.html)

Marc Salvatore October 28th, 2009 09:19 AM

HD Link freezes when converting AVCHD

I'm trying so convert AVCHD footage from a Sony SR-11 camera. HDLink freezes everytime at various parts of the file. I've tried the latest beta version as well as version 4.0.7. I'm using windows 7. Any ideas? Thanks

Robert Young October 29th, 2009 05:57 PM

Exactly how are you importing the SR-11 footage?

Marc Salvatore October 29th, 2009 06:14 PM

I'm using the program supplied with the camera "Sony Picture Motion Browser".

Robert Young October 29th, 2009 06:50 PM

I have read numerous reports that the Sony PMB has conflicts with the Matroska Splitter which is used by HDLink when converting AVCHD.
I have the Sony PMB on a laptop & use it to import to a USB HD, then I attach the USB drive to my editing system (which does not have PMB installed) & convert with HDLink.
Another alternative is to shoot to the Duo card rather than the HD, then import the video files via a card reader directly into your editing system without the use of PMB. You will loose the metadata & Sony file naming, but the actual video is fine.
My understanding is that the PMB conflict occurs from simply having the software installed on your system.
Your particular problem may have some other cause, but this is one possibility to look at.

Marc Salvatore October 29th, 2009 07:16 PM

Thanks Robert,

I'm trying your solution right and I'll report back how it works. I was able to render them out to a new Cineform file from the Sony Vegas timeline as a workaround but when I do that the clips always end up out of sync with a green flash as the beginning. Something's definately up here. AVCHD is a pain.

Marc Salvatore October 29th, 2009 08:11 PM

Removed Sony MPB but HD Link still freezes on the bigger clips. Smaller clips do fine. I'm now rendering a clip to Cineform in Vegas to see if I still get out of sync clips now that I've removed Sony MPB.

Marc Salvatore October 29th, 2009 09:38 PM

Since removing Sony's Motion Picture Browser I no longer have the sync problem when converting AVCHD to Cineform in Sony Vegas. I still cannot use HD Link to convert but I now have a workaround.

Thanks for the help Robert.

Robert Young October 30th, 2009 12:06 PM

Something is still not right.
I have used HDLink flawlessly with footage from Sony SR-12 and XR-520, converting to 1920x1080 60i CFHD.avi. I've done several long form projects with final delivery to DVD and Blu Ray with excellent results- no fuss, no muss.
It should work & is probably worth getting to the bottom of the problem. Once it is working right, using AVCHD is no more effort or problem than any other format.

Marc Salvatore October 30th, 2009 11:37 PM

You're right Robert. I'll have to file a ticket once I get through my current project.