HD Link freezes when converting AVCHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Major Player

HD Link freezes when converting AVCHD

I'm trying so convert AVCHD footage from a Sony SR-11 camera. HDLink freezes everytime at various parts of the file. I've tried the latest beta version as well as version 4.0.7. I'm using windows 7. Any ideas? Thanks
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Exactly how are you importing the SR-11 footage?
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm using the program supplied with the camera "Sony Picture Motion Browser".
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Trustee

I have read numerous reports that the Sony PMB has conflicts with the Matroska Splitter which is used by HDLink when converting AVCHD.
I have the Sony PMB on a laptop & use it to import to a USB HD, then I attach the USB drive to my editing system (which does not have PMB installed) & convert with HDLink.
Another alternative is to shoot to the Duo card rather than the HD, then import the video files via a card reader directly into your editing system without the use of PMB. You will loose the metadata & Sony file naming, but the actual video is fine.
My understanding is that the PMB conflict occurs from simply having the software installed on your system.
Your particular problem may have some other cause, but this is one possibility to look at.
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Robert,

I'm trying your solution right and I'll report back how it works. I was able to render them out to a new Cineform file from the Sony Vegas timeline as a workaround but when I do that the clips always end up out of sync with a green flash as the beginning. Something's definately up here. AVCHD is a pain.
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Removed Sony MPB but HD Link still freezes on the bigger clips. Smaller clips do fine. I'm now rendering a clip to Cineform in Vegas to see if I still get out of sync clips now that I've removed Sony MPB.
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Since removing Sony's Motion Picture Browser I no longer have the sync problem when converting AVCHD to Cineform in Sony Vegas. I still cannot use HD Link to convert but I now have a workaround.

Thanks for the help Robert.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Trustee

Something is still not right.
I have used HDLink flawlessly with footage from Sony SR-12 and XR-520, converting to 1920x1080 60i CFHD.avi. I've done several long form projects with final delivery to DVD and Blu Ray with excellent results- no fuss, no muss.
It should work & is probably worth getting to the bottom of the problem. Once it is working right, using AVCHD is no more effort or problem than any other format.
Old October 30th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #9
Major Player

You're right Robert. I'll have to file a ticket once I get through my current project.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase