HDV to DVD - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:15 AM   #46
Regular Crew

^^ Agreed, all my reserch has told me not to go over 8000...
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Bergstrom View Post
To me the rescale option direct from timeline by using the Cineform codec in the movie export menu (1280 x 720 pal to 720 x 576 pal) and then use Procoder to do the m2v is far better then TMPGEnc (I have both).

The TMPGEnc is not in the same leauge as Procoder and I still think Cineform is the best downscale codec out there.
Mikael - I've tried doing the same, but Procoder 3 seems to have a hard time with the 720x576 square pixel CF file. I can't get it to export a properly formatted 16x9 720x576 MPEG-2 DVD file, no matter what input and output aspect settings I try. I set the Input PAR as 1:1, then the Input AR box goes to 5:4. This seems correct. Then I set the Output to 16:9, but the result is not good. If I set everything as 16:9, it's no good either. Procoder also seems to get the field order mixed up, but that I can control.

You must be doing something different than I am.

Please note that Encore accepts the 720x576 CF file with no problem.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #48
New Boot

Hi John,

No, i'm just saying about thouse 2 settings.
I didn't play with sharpening.
But so far TMPGenc is my best choice on
about 2 hours projects.
Better then AME 4.2 or VirtDub/HC.

Alex
Alex Artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:00 PM   #49
Major Player

Hi John/Alex as far as the shaprening do a coupe of test to see what you think depending on your lighting you migh have to sharpen more sometimes or less. I have read about the 8000 too and I disreguard almost all players now can handle 9300 with no problem. If they can't I would tell them to invest in a Sony Blu-ray for 150 bucks. That way they can play what ever they want.
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the information. Downconverting HDV SD gives excellent results. With AVCHD to SD I see a aliasing in the mpeg2 image. The scaled (Lanzcos-3) HD CFHD to SD CFHD image prior to mpeg encoding looks fine - no aliasing.

Ed B
Edwin Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM   #51
Major Player

Hi Marty,

This is good stuff. I still do not feel that PPcs3 or 4 can down scale a quality DVD. Where can I get Procoder3 just for scaling. I would like to try it to see the compairson against TMPGenc.

I was hoping by now I would not have to worrie about going to SD but people just don't get the Blu-ray thing
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Gruber View Post
Hi John/Alex as far as the shaprening do a coupe of test to see what you think depending on your lighting you migh have to sharpen more sometimes or less. I have read about the 8000 too and I disreguard almost all players now can handle 9300 with no problem. If they can't I would tell them to invest in a Sony Blu-ray for 150 bucks. That way they can play what ever they want.
:) OK, I'll tell all my clients that and reference you for the reason they need to replace their equipment :)

P.S. I have two less then 3 year old DVD players that can't play 9300 right...
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #53
Major Player

Hi Thomas,
TMPGenc's default is 9200 I agree if you feel safe with the 8000 by all means then that is the setting you should use. I have not had anyone tell me they could not play my Disc's so the statement of 9300 is only my opinion ( not woth much) but have a few 100 disc's out there at 9300

Oh and you may tell your clients Bruce said get a new player..LOL
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #54
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Engeler View Post
Mikael - I've tried doing the same, but Procoder 3 seems to have a hard time with the 720x576 square pixel CF file. I can't get it to export a properly formatted 16x9 720x576 MPEG-2 DVD file, no matter what input and output aspect settings I try. I set the Input PAR as 1:1, then the Input AR box goes to 5:4. This seems correct. Then I set the Output to 16:9, but the result is not good. If I set everything as 16:9, it's no good either. Procoder also seems to get the field order mixed up, but that I can control.

You must be doing something different than I am.

Please note that Encore accepts the 720x576 CF file with no problem.
Bill- When you convert a sq pixel CFHD file to SD, the PAR no longer remains square. If it is SD 4x3, the PAR is 0.9, if to SD 16x9, the PAR is 1.2.
If you set Procoder to input a 1.2 PAR 16x9 SD movie as sq pixel PAR, then your output aspect ratio for DVD will be wrong.
Old December 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Adobe Forums: OT - Tutorial for Dan Isaacs' hd2sd...
John Rich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase